Eye Problem

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenjenn2005

The other day I noticed my chinchilla's right eye was a little red, and that same day they had a vet appointment for an annual check up and one of my other chins had a teeth trim. The vet (a very well known exotic vet that specializes in chins) gave me an ointment called Vetramyocin or something along that line (sorry I don't have the tube right in front of me). I applied it last night and this morning and everything seemed fine. Tonight when I applied it a white almost pus type discharge covered her eye. This was never present before only redness and tearing. Is this something I should be worried about or should I continue just using the ointment and see if it improves. I was going to contact the vet and just let her know and see what she says but that won't be until morning.
Thanks!

I would definitely call the vet if something different is happening with the eye. I would also withold baths during this time because often it is dust that is irritating the eye in the first place. It seems some, especially kits don't close their eyes when going crazy in their dust. He he he. I've used the vetromyicin that you are talking about and it worked well. I don't remember getting any pus ontop of the tearing and redness though. Because there can be many reasons that chins eyes tear I would pay careful attention to this chin to make sure that it's not anything other than a weepy eye. Good luck to you and I hope this clears up quick. - Jessica

Back