Eye problem

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siylvat

One of my chins had what looked like a watery eye the other day. I thought maybe he irritated it somehow, so I gave him a dust bath. The next day, it looked alot better. Today though, now his other eye, doesn't looks so much watery, as it does squinty, and maybe even a little crusty, like it had been watery. I don't think both eyes would be irritated by something so close together... The other eye (first one) looks perfectly fine now.

What could this be? He is a little over a year old. Other than that, he seems perfectly healthy. Lots of energy, eats his pellets and hay, drinks water.

My standard girl, Ozzie, used to get an irritated eye from the dust. What kind do you use? If the eye problem persisits, though, a vet visit is in order. It could be an eye infection or tooth problems.

How often are you dusting? It could be a dust irritation that just needs to be flushed with some saline. I do agree with Carol, if it continues you need to go to the vet to have him checked for a URI, conjunctivitis, scratched cornea and/or xrays to check his teeth.

Sambuca has really sensitive eyes. If your chin keeps getting crusties, take them to the vet to make sure it isn't an infection. I have to give Sammy's eyes a good rinse after each bath or I see exactly what you are describing.

thanks for the responses. His eye looks a little better now, it just isn't open all the way. My boyfriend suggested that maybe it is from his hay (I recently tried putting it in his hammock, which he never uses, he may be reaching up to grab some, and getting some of the hay particles in his eye), does that sound like a possibility? This did start after I moved the hay. I'm moving it back to see if it changes anything.

We usually give him a dust bath twice a week. I have only given him one in the past week though because I am almost out and waiting to get more in. We have been using sunseed dust but I put in an order for blue cloud. hopefully should get some in before the week is out *crosses fingers*

I dont' think it is a tooth problem, he doest exhibit any of the other symptoms, but I won't rule it out just yet of coarse.

My question is though, what kind of problem would have switched eyes? I am possitive that the other eye had been bothering him before...

It could be the hay, could be the dust, could be a cronic eye infection. I would bring him to the vet to get the eye stained to make sure there is no scratch, and then get him on some eye drops and antibiotics to clear them up- that is if it does not go away after a few days of no hay in the hammock. Good luck!

It could be the hay, could be the dust, could be a cronic eye infection. I would bring him to the vet to get the eye stained to make sure there is no scratch, and then get him on some eye drops and antibiotics to clear them up- that is if it does not go away after a few days of no hay in the hammock. Good luck!

okay, I think I will leave him for now and see what it does. If they are not cleared up in a day or so, we will get him to the vet. (unless it gets worse...then we will bring him in sooner.)

I just wanted to let everyone know that his eye looks 100% better now. Last night it was still a little squinty, but this morning an all day today it looks great. I am wondering if he was pulling hay into his eye after all.

Back