eye problem returns

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiniiBamBam

Keeper of BamBam :D
what is wrong with my chinchilla? what am i doing wrong? today my chinchillas eye was slightly gooped up today and not fully open and its the same eye that gave him troubles both times before this, the fist time he got it i brought him to the vet, but by the time i got him to the vet it wasa just about cleared up ON ITS OWN, so the doctor game me medicine anyways just in case it came back and to kill any left infection so i gave the medicine as prescribed. it stayed away and it was fine, then like 2 weeks after that the same eye would get gooped shut over night, so i gave the medicine to him again and it cleared up, and now probably 3 weeks later the same eye has goopys, i clean his cage often, roughly every 4 days, and he gets his dust baths as he should, what should i do???? the vet did what he thought it was and gave me medicine but im almost out of the medicine? why does it keep coming back and only in this one eye? im sooo puzzled! PLEASE HELP ME i dont want my little guy too keep getting this all his life, i just dont understand what i am doing wronggggggg =(

i dont think so because the last time i gave him a dust bath was roughly 2 or 3 days ago and if it did happen after his dust bath i would think that he would get it in both eyes or more than he already has because he has had more baths that eye problemss

Repeated eye infections sometimes need a oral antibiotic such as TMS along with a occular one, if that fails then the problem needs to be investigated by doing a x-ray to check if the lacrimal duct is blocked by a tooth root or if the chin is having teeth issues on that side and if that is inconclusive then a fluorescein dye test should be done to check for a blockage by something else.

I agree with Dawn. If drops aren't cutting it, I always add in an oral antibiotic to help along the infection. But, if this is a continued thing, I would wonder about a blocked tear duct or tooth issues.

okay thank you alll

i with there was another vet around here =/ i have a feeling that my vet doesn't know much about chinchillas, i know he has worked with them before but i don't think he has a lot, when Bambam had diarrhea he has to look stuff up in a book =/

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you located? Maybe someone can suggest a vet they have experience with that isn't too far away.

When my chinchilla was having eye problems, he was diagnosed with a URI. I didn't hear him wheezing, and he didn't have any symptoms other than a watery/goopy eye. He was on a course of oral antibiotics and eye drops. His eye was not any better after a few weeks and I took him back to the vet and had her do a stain to check for any scratches. Sure enough, he had scratched his cornea and had to have eye drops for about 8 months before it healed completely.

My vet works with exotics, but she isn't very familiar with chinchillas. Most people here will have enough experience or knowledge to tell you what to look for, or things to ask your vet to do. If your vet is like mine, they will listen to you and be open to your suggestions.

im located in saranac lake, ny . and my chinchillas eye is back to normal now and i gave him the rest of his eye drops which was like 4 drops so i gave 2 drops to him for 2 days and it had already gone awayyyyy, i think its sooo weird, and i have a feeling it will come back

Latest posts

Back