Eye Problem - Infection or Malo?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelyco

Fur Flavored
Hey all,

In the past few weeks, I had seen Diamond's eye water twice and get just a little pink around it, but each time, it went away by morning and then didn't see it again for about a week. I was watching it, but not concerned yet since it went away (I thought it might be loose hay getting in it, since this bag is particularly broken down with bits and pieces).

I hadn't looked too closely at her the last few days since I've been in and out of the house, but tonight while cleaning the cage, I saw her eye and it's really bad all of a sudden, when I know this past weekend it was absolutely fine. I can't talk to the vet until the morning, but hoping to get some insight from you guys in the meantime. Does this look like just an infection, or could it be the beginning signs of malo? I'm not sure what to look for. Not sure if you can see it in the pictures, but in the corner, it looks like there might be some pus.

I'm also not sure if she's been eating, I weighed her tonight and if she lost anything, it was just a couple grams, nothing noticeable.

Attachments

• DSC00688.jpg
    DSC00688.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00690.jpg
    DSC00690.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 31
if i had to guess, since she hasn't lost any weight its probably an eye infection.

summer

I just went in to give her a bit of chin cookie and caught her eating, plus she gobbled up the cookie.

My guess would be infection/conjunctivitis, but if teeth are a concern, x-rays are good to have done as well. But given the redness, and discharge, that definitely looks like infection/conjunctivitis to me.

I just had a chin who had conjunctivitis, and had x-rays done in case, and found out he was all clear (he had dropped some weight too, which was part of why I pushed for x-rays.) But I hope your chin just has an infection that's easily treated!

Chin needs to go to the vet and have a eye stain and be prescribed antibiotics, either occular or oral or both . If the condition returns or does not go away, then the chin should return to the vet for dental x-rays-elongtion of the roots can be silent, blockage of the lacrimal duct in the eye does not allow the tears to drain and the area becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and a area of repeat infections, you cannot tell by looking at the eye if the infection is caused by the blockage or not.

Thanks guys. I'm waiting for the office to call me back, it sounds like they don't have their exotic vets in today.

an eye infection should be easy for any vet to diagnose but I would definitly make sure it was the exotic vet if you are concerned about the teeth!

I got an appointment in about 2 hours, but she was in such a hurry that I didn't get to ask who I'm seeing, but they are pretty good about only letting their exotic vets deal with them. They have 2 or 3 exotic vets on staff, which I really like about this place.

I got an appointment in about 2 hours, but she was in such a hurry that I didn't get to ask who I'm seeing, but they are pretty good about only letting their exotic vets deal with them. They have 2 or 3 exotic vets on staff, which I really like about this place.

Good luck at the vet! If they prescribe an eye med see if you can get it in drops instead of an ointment. The ointment is messier to deal with.

So, $180 later, I still didn't really get any answers. The vet did do an eye stain, but didn't see anything specific, just a lot of inflammation. Unfortunately, she did a lot of "vet speak" and I didn't understand most of what she was saying, which is weird, because I've never had a vet do that.

She couldn't feel/see any teeth problems, but did say they can't see the roots without an X-ray. So to take the safer route, she gave me antibiotic drops and anti-inflammatory drops to give for a week, then if her eye isn't doing better when I go back next week, then they'll do X-rays.

It would be refreshing to have a vet "vet speak" at me rather than speaking to me like I was a 3 year old, LOL.

Sounds like a good plan of action, chin is going to hate you for awhile though!

She's sporting a lovely yellow spot on her nice white fur. I was kind of hoping she would grump at the vet, so she could be mad at someone else for once! She grumps almost every time we try to pick her up. But of course, she was well behaved.

be very diligent with the drops. eye infections are a bear to treat. i alway get a cotton pad and soak with the saline to wipe the eye and clean off any goop and the go with the drops. the first time or two it will take a bit of practice to hold your chin the most comfortable way for you to amake sure the drops actually get in the eye. good luck.

Thankfully my husband holds her so I can do the drops, last night and this morning were both successful. Her eye was already looking a little better this morning.

I thought of something last night though - can malo -cause- eye infections? I'm wondering what happens if the meds clear it up, she goes back to the vet and everything is fine, but that was just a symptom? Not that I want to put her through sedation and pay for X-rays, but I want to make sure I understand what's going on.

Yes, I think so, according to what Dawn wrote earlier in your thread:

If the condition returns or does not go away, then the chin should return to the vet for dental x-rays-elongtion of the roots can be silent, blockage of the lacrimal duct in the eye does not allow the tears to drain and the area becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and a area of repeat infections, you cannot tell by looking at the eye if the infection is caused by the blockage or not.

I have a Chin with persistent eye infections, an x-ray has just confirmed he's got root elongation so it can be a sign of dental issues.

Latest posts

Back