eye corner abscess

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rascal

Hello all,

My friend's chinchilla has an eye corner abscess, the vet ad clear it out but saying that is a very very serious problems which would lead to dead due to the infections all over the body.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Has anyone here experienced this before?

thank you

Can you try reposting the pictures? They are not showing up. We might have a better idea of what you're dealing with if we can clearly see it.

Yes, seeing the pictures would help us give advice, but an abcess would have to be totally out of control to cause death I would think. It needs to be flushed twice a day in order for the infection to clear. The chin has to be on antibiotics for sure.

with pictures would help, i did have a chin with an abcess right in front of her eye, like between the eye and nose. i just flushed (or drained) it 2 times a day, then when i about had it all healed up, she let me know what she thought about it. lol. she was done with that. but it was huge, got to about the size of a quarter, i didnt think that she was goingt o recover from it, but that was about 2 years ago, and shes still doing great.

I am so sorry for the pictures not showing up..

I have just uploaded to an online-album:

mrfok1.jpg

mrfok2.jpg

mrfok3.jpg

Antibiotics and pain killer got from vet.

mrfokmedicine.jpg

mrfokmedicine2.jpg

I don't know if that dosage of antibiotics is suitbale for chinchilla-->0.8ML twice per day.

The chinchilla is lossing appetite and have only tiny poops after taking te antibiotics.

We are waiting for the pathology test result.

The vet had clear the pus and said the chinchilla is quite serious because the chins may have other infections in other parts of the body...The chins was eating like a pig before eating the antibiotics...

My friend is quite worry.

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited:
The above 3 photos was taken before visiting the vet.

The pic. below was taken after visiting the vet, the pus was cleared and an eye-drops called optomycin was given to the chins also.
mrfok5.jpg

I can't give you any advice but poor little guy. I hope he gets better and that someone on here knows what it is.

Did the vet tell your friend why he thinks the chin has an infection in other parts of his body? If he was eating 'like a pig' before the antibiotics, I find it hard to believe there is infection elswhere. If the chin had a major infection all over, his appetite would have slowed down at least a little and he would be lethargic.

I admit the abcess is in a very difficult area. It is very important to keep it cleaned and drained of puss. The vet should have showed your friend how to flush the wound twice a day. The Metacam will help with pain and inflammation. I can't tell what the name of the other med is. Giving .8ml of almost any drug (besides Chloremphenical) is high. I'm not surprised it is affecting his appetite.

You will need to start to hand feed him if he does not start eating on his own.

hi feistychins,

the vet guessed the chins may have other infections because there is an abscess on the eye corner, this happened may due to other infections inside the body...

hi starleomach,
The vet also guessed this may be a clogged tear duct...Have you seen any chins suffered from this before?thx

She is just guessing and not sure what is happeneing on the chins...

I have not seen it in a chinchilla but I have seen it in other animals and without surgery it can become a chronic problem but can be managed.

Did the vet tell your friend why he thinks the chin has an infection in other parts of his body? If he was eating 'like a pig' before the antibiotics, I find it hard to believe there is infection elswhere. If the chin had a major infection all over, his appetite would have slowed down at least a little and he would be lethargic.

I admit the abcess is in a very difficult area. It is very important to keep it cleaned and drained of puss. The vet should have showed your friend how to flush the wound twice a day. The Metacam will help with pain and inflammation. I can't tell what the name of the other med is. Giving .8ml of almost any drug (besides Chloremphenical) is high. I'm not surprised it is affecting his appetite.

The antibiotics should be "chloramphenicol"

I'm not saying the antibiotics should be chloramphenicol, but just as a comment that most antibiotics for chins are in much lower doses. Chloramphenicol happens to be one that because of how it is mixed, the doses are usually much higher.

That does not look like a typical abcess like I have had to deal with for other chins. It may be a blocked tear duct as mentioned.

The owner just checked on the receipt and the antibiotics is chloramphenicol.

The chins is eating abour 20 pelltes, but only 1/3 hay compare to usual.

If it is an abcess, chloramphenicol would be correct to use. It usually is rather easy on the tummy. 0.8cc/ml is not really a huge dose, imo. But then it does depend on the weight of the chinchilla also.

As far as I have always been told by my vets(yes I have more than one.), you can give as much as 3 cc/ml and not overdose a chin on it. Not sure about the harsh comment for the tummy. I've never seen an issue.

The only concern with the higher dosage is it could lead to sterility in the chinchilla, if you worry of that(I don't.).

I don't know about blocked tear ducts(never had the problem), but if it is an abcess, chloramphenicol would be a correct antibiotic to use. I know usually abcesses or infections respond well to it, and it is less harsh on the tummy than baytril is(which sometimes people use for abcesses also.). Your friend may consider to handfeed if the chin is not eating much.

If it is an abcess, chloramphenicol would be correct to use. It usually is rather easy on the tummy. 0.8cc/ml is not really a huge dose, imo. But then it does depend on the weight of the chinchilla also.

As far as I have always been told by my vets(yes I have more than one.), you can give as much as 3 cc/ml and not overdose a chin on it. Not sure about the harsh comment for the tummy. I've never seen an issue.

The only concern with the higher dosage is it could lead to sterility in the chinchilla, if you worry of that(I don't.).

I don't know about blocked tear ducts(never had the problem), but if it is an abcess, chloramphenicol would be a correct antibiotic to use. I know usually abcesses or infections respond well to it, and it is less harsh on the tummy than baytril is(which sometimes people use for abcesses also.). Your friend may consider to handfeed if the chin is not eating much.

Thank you very much for the useful informations provided, I was just a bit worried about the dosage and wondering if that's the right antibiotics to use.

Thank your for all of your replies. I am the owner of the chin. Actually, the vet told me that the cause of the abcess may preliminarily due to clogged tear duct or the problem in teeth root, but these have to be confirmed by x-ray.
However, the vet said that my chin is in small size that it is not likely to have these 2 problems. Hence, no x-ray now, but administrate the antibiotics to see if it works. Also some pus is used for pathological determination to try to identify any virus present. And I can obtain the report next week.
She also mentioned that it is due to a very serious bacterial infection, but she didn't specify which body parts are infected....

For the wound flushing, the vet did not ask me to flushing the wound, but only told me to put on some cotton with cold water on its eye to alleviate it 3 times a day.

After applying the antibiotics, its appepitite is a little bit bad, it eats a little bit less hay but much less grass than before, but when I hand feed it, it eats more.

Its faeces are normal and its soul is good, not lethargic.

Back