Eye "boogies"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandDreamer322

So for the past 2 days, Poo has had what I call "eye boogies" in the corner of his left eye. It is not very much, but his eye seems to be watering a little. I used a paper towel to clean the corner of his eye (which luckily he did not mind), but when I came home from work today I saw that it seemed to have come back. It is only his left eye, not his right. He is eating, drinking, running around normal. His poop is normal and he is still chewing anything I give him. I don't know if he might have scratched his eye, or maybe it is irritated? I am just hoping it has nothing to do with his teeth. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

It happens with my chin after he takes a dust bath, but it usually comes off. It definitely could be irritated, but also could be more extreme. I have no idea, if it keeps continuing, you may need to go to the vet and get some eye drops or something like that.

Since it is reoccuring and I'm assuming you didn't give him a dust bath before each of the instances where the eye boogers appeared, he could be developing an eye infection. If the eye is watering and the fur around the eye appears wet and matted, and/or the eye lid looks red or irritated, it could be an infection cropping up or a scratch on the eye. If the symtoms persist for another day I would take the chin to the vet.

If you do need to make a vet visit, be sure that a dye test is done on the eye to be sure there are no scratches on the cornea.

Eye drops will most likely be prescribed should it be an infection or scratch.

I tried to get a pic of his eye- you can kinda see what I am talking about ( The pic is not the best quality- I took it with my iphone). It looks like his tear duct is red and swollen- compared to his right eye. If it does not improve- I will call the vet on Monday morning. Poor little guy...

GetAttachmentaspx-6.jpg

OK- So I took Poo to the vet this morning. He has mild conjunctivitis in both eyes! I am glad I took him before it got any worse. Poor little guy was terrified of the vet, he was barking at her when she was trying to look in his eyes! So she gave me some eye drops to use for 5 days, and I am wondering what the best way to give them to him would be. What is the best way to keep him calm so I can get the drops in there? I do not want to get them all over his face. Thanks

When I have to treat an eye infection, I wrap the chin up in a towel in the "chinnie burrito". It is easier if you have someone else to hold the chin while you administer the drops, but it can be done alone. Once the chin is wrapped up securely, gently hold the eye open and administer the drops.

When I have to treat an eye infection, I wrap the chin up in a towel in the "chinnie burrito". It is easier if you have someone else to hold the chin while you administer the drops, but it can be done alone. Once the chin is wrapped up securely, gently hold the eye open and administer the drops.

Ah, the chinchilla burrito... prescribed for any ailment!

Good job on catching it early, I'm wishing you and your baby the best.

Gizmos had pink eye twice, he was really good with the cream thankfully. But the times that he did move around alot, i'd give him a small piece of treat.. he'd be so concentrated on the treat he'd just sit there :)

Back