Extreme Winter Travel!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breevass

Hey guys!

I live in Alaska (brrr..)! And we'll be driving out of here through Canada to Kentucky in the winter. Well, Alaskan and Canadian winters are rough!! It got down to -65 F this past Winter. Since we are driving, I want to be sure that she will be completely okay. We have both a metal carrier and a cloth one. (Probably going with cloth one to prevent any chance of frost bite when carrying her into hotels!) She will have a blanket over her and something to cuddle with inside there.

Are there any other ways to make sure that she stays at the right temperature?
She was inside all of last winter, so I never had to worry about it!

I know all the ways to keep her cooled down in summer, but not necessarily to keep her warm while traveling! Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

As long as she is out of direct drafts and you are going straight from house to car, car to hotel etc., she should be fine with a blanket thrown over her as you get inside. I would recommend starting the car and getting the temperature to a comfortable level before putting her in there too. Basically take all the precautions you would with a human child in the winter (I had my daughter during a rough February winter so I know how scary that is!).

Best of luck!

Helped move a whole herd from up in Canada in -30 to -40 degree weather. It hurt just to breath in the air when it was that cold. We warmed the the vans before loading and covered the cages before moving them from the barn to the vans. Then just hope and pray no break downs. Most of all this is all about if you are not cold they are probably plenty warm. They are more comfortable with cold than we are.

My concern, like that of Jags, is breakdowns. Being from Winnipeg I too know cold. I would suggest taking along a box of chemical handwarmers. Then if you breakdown you can place those around the cage to keep your chin warm and if you have a large box, you can put them inside of your coat as well. Some can last up to 24 hours, so you need to make sure you get the right kind.
Pace yourself, there is no need to rush. Be very careful driving across the prairies as whiteouts are very common when it begins to get stormy.

Oh trust me, there will be no rush on this trip! We know the dangers too well!

But hand warmers. I do really like that idea and will DEFINITELY pack some of those. Because breaking down with her in the car was one of my main concerns. We were going to fly, but
1. They couldn't guarantee her safety in cargo (Not temperature controlled that time of year) and would not let her fly in cabin with me.
2. Even if cargo WAS temperature controlled that time of year, Athena is an AMAZING escape artist, like this woman can open doors by jumping onto the door knob and turning it kind of amazing. So my fear is if she couldn't chew through the cage, she would find some way to get out!

Oh trust me, there will be no rush on this trip! We know the dangers too well!

But hand warmers. I do really like that idea and will DEFINITELY pack some of those. Because breaking down with her in the car was one of my main concerns. We were going to fly, but
1. They couldn't guarantee her safety in cargo (Not temperature controlled that time of year) and would not let her fly in cabin with me.
2. Even if cargo WAS temperature controlled that time of year, Athena is an AMAZING escape artist, like this woman can open doors by jumping onto the door knob and turning it kind of amazing. So my fear is if she couldn't chew through the cage, she would find some way to get out!

Lol, I do not envy you one bit. I have driven the Yellowhead all to many times during the winter across the prairies and it is a trip that I never want to do again. Will you be cutting across Saskatchewan and then down through North Dakota or all the way down to Winnipeg, along the northern side of the Great Lakes and then down through Sault Ste Marie? The Northern route is much prettier and less boring
once you get just past Winnipeg.

My hubby was wanting to cut through and down into N. Dakota because it's the "quicker" route to Kentucky and he really doesn't want to be on the road in Canada too long. Simply for safety reasons. I've heard both are pretty, but pretty miserable if winter is already in full swing! It's already dipping into the 30s, so I see it cutting in all too soon :/

My hubby was wanting to cut through and down into N. Dakota because it's the "quicker" route to Kentucky and he really doesn't want to be on the road in Canada too long. Simply for safety reasons. I've heard both are pretty, but pretty miserable if winter is already in full swing! It's already dipping into the 30s, so I see it cutting in all too soon :/

Actually the roads in Canada really aren't that bad. I have driven both through North Dakota and the Canadian highways and there wasn't much difference, it is all pretty desolate except of course the best city in the middle of the continent, my beautiful home town of Winnipeg. :) Temps in Winnipeg are still quite warm.

When is it that you are planning on making the trip?

Latest posts

Back