extermanating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola

ok so my chinchilla is in the basement and the exterminator might spray down there will my chinchilla be safe

i would find somewhere else for your chin to be during the spraying, and for a day or two at least afterwards. ask the eterminator what chemical they are using, and what the guideline is on how long until pets and humans can return to the area. also ask if it's ok to wash the sprayed area right after or if the spray needs to stay on surfaces for any time.

a lot of the sprays that exterminators use are pyrethrin based, and pets cannot be in the area while it is being sprayed. i know it is a fatal chemical to birds and fish - about a year ago my apartment was sprayed, and although i didn't have chins at the time, i had to wrap my fish tanks air tight with thick garbage bags for hours and haul all my spare tank equipment outside to keep it from getting residue on it. i was instructed to not wash any floors or anything for a week after, so that the chemical could do its job.

well he says the chinchilla should be fine and humans are still allowed to live in the house i know the exterminator personally

Move your Chins! I had two guine pigs when I was a little girl, and my grandpa did some spraying in their room, not even close to their cage, but the next morning, we found them both dead!!!

Better to move them and be safe. Just because it is people safe doesn't mean it is necessarily chin-safe, and it's not worth taking the chance, I think. Time for a chinnie field trip!

Never trust an exterminator to know what's best for your pets! It's not their job to know or understand the sensitivities of an exotic animal, nor can they be held accountable if your chins get sick and die. Move them.

i agree with the rest it may be safe for humans-- and even some pets, but that doesn't mean it is safe for all pets.

just like many dog products are perfectly safe for dogs, but would kill cats.

even if it is "safe" i personally wouldn't want my chins inhaling any chemical, safe or not. i would recommend at least moving them until the day after the spraying at the very least.

while i may not be a chemist, their called 'exterminators' for a reason. Theirs no way i could or would take such a chance with my chins. (Or any pets) If your wrong... thats just horrible...

Chins are suseptable to enough respritory problems as it is. I wouldnt add something on top of it.

I agree with what everyone is saying. Chins seem to be sensitive to smells and what not. It's better to not risk it and know that your chin will be healthy and fine.

Back