Experience with Meniscus Tears?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

About 3.5 weeks ago I took a bad step while running and twisted my knee. Pain was almost immediate- sharp/pulling pain above my knee cap slightly to the left, traveling down to what feels like right under my knee cap while walking/running, extending or bending my leg (while sitting or standing), going up/down stairs. I iced that night and on and off for a couple days after. Minimal to no swelling. Slight bruising that went away. The pain was significantly worse the next day but got a lot better over the weekend with rest.

I have required 5 day a week training that I can't miss, so I resumed exercise. Pain got gradually worse throughout the week and was pretty significant by Friday. Rest for the weekend and it felt much better. Repeat during the 2nd and 3rd weeks, and same thing happens- pain gets gradually worse and then better after the weekend. At times my knee felt as if it was stiff or swollen but there was no visible swelling (it is hard to explain). Some very slight bruising appeared again last Tuesday.

Ok, so I went to the doctor here and she briefly mentioned a possible meniscus tear. X-rays are clear. She is scheduling me for an MRI and told me that if it bothers me again after training this week she may put me in a brace.

I'm sitting here today virtually pain free and thinking there can't really be anything wrong. But during the week it's a completely different story.

So my question is- does this sound like a possible tear? Could the pain come and go like it does in my case?

Last edited:
Could be a meniscus tear. Could also be a strained tendon (tendonitis). The only way either one is going to heal is to stop stressing it. I know hardcore runners hate that thought, but you risk permanent damage and pain if you don't treat it early. I let a meniscus tear go untreated in high school (football season) and I still have pain if I run. Try some Aleve to help with the pain and to help bring down any interior swelling.

Could be a meniscus tear. Could also be a strained tendon (tendonitis). The only way either one is going to heal is to stop stressing it. I know hardcore runners hate that thought, but you risk permanent damage and pain if you don't treat it early. I let a meniscus tear go untreated in high school (football season) and I still have pain if I run. Try some Aleve to help with the pain and to help bring down any interior swelling.

I've had tendonitis before and it doesn't feel like this does, but maybe tendonitis in the knee is different? I should find out tomorrow or Tuesday when my MRI is scheduled for.

Also, I know ideally I should just take some time off training and let it rest. Unfortunately, I have a big PT test in 1.5 weeks that will play a part in my national ranking to determine if I get active duty/reserves and what job when I graduate/commission. After the PT test I will be able to change my workouts to eliminate stress on my knee.

Man, Ann, you are DEFINITELY a trouper!!!

I remember when you had to deal with an injury in your earlier training for school.

Try to rest as much as you can, because you don't want to do permanent damage. As my Mother always said, "Hang in there, moose"!!!

Thinking of and praying for you...

My father tore his meniscus this past winter. He went until summer time until a dr finally looked at it and needed surgery. I am pretty sure his pain came and went too. I'd go see a dr though for a better diagnosis.

I've had tendonitis before and it doesn't feel like this does, but maybe tendonitis in the knee is different? I should find out tomorrow or Tuesday when my MRI is scheduled for.

When you described it wrapping around the knee, it made me think MCL strain. A stretched MCL can also contribute to pain in the lower knee where the knee cap can slip and rub.

My father tore his meniscus this past winter. He went until summer time until a dr finally looked at it and needed surgery. I am pretty sure his pain came and went too. I'd go see a dr though for a better diagnosis.

I saw a Dr last week who is sending me for an MRI. Whatever it is, I'm hoping it's minor / no big deal. I don't need another thing to keep me laid up!

Ahhh yea my dad had an mri to confirm it. Good luck. If it is a tear they are a weight bearing for healing so not as rough as a torn acl.

Six weeks ago I twisted my left knee - had my foot planted and totally twirled around and heard a grinding sound and something felt like it was rubbing.

The pain was pretty instant, but it got so much worse after the first day. I couldn't use my left leg to stand up and I had severe pain when I would crouch down or go down a staircase. I used a knee brace for 4 weeks straight, and I've been off of it for the past two weeks. It still hurts a little, but every week it gets better. Injuries like this can take weeks to heal (and I aggravated it early on in the first two weeks which I'm sure resulted in the extended healing process).

So it wasn't a meniscus teaer. The MRI showed Quadricep Tendinopathy. Rest/therapy/Brace for awhile.

Back