Excessive shedding/fur loss?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asha

Just a quick question. Today as I was cleaning Sonic's cage, at the bottom there were a few fur balls about the size of a ping pong ball. There were a couple fur balls like this last week too. I know that chinnies can shed, but my other chins have never exhibited this type of shedding before. Sonic by nature is my most high strung chin; he was very fearful when I first got him and it took me many months to get him to trust me since he had been neglected. He exhibits no other signs of distress, eating and pooping normally. Also still greets me and wants attention when I walk near his cage. Perhaps I am looking too far into the fur balls, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I've just never seen shedding to this degree before (if that is in fact all it is). Any ideas as to what might have caused this type of fur loss? Maybe something scared him since he is a nervous little dude? Any input would be helpful!

Is he housed with other chins? It could be fur slip while they are fighting possibly. You may need to seperate if it continues.

No fur missing on his body as far as I can tell. He is also not housed with any of my other chins and has his own cage (meant to mention that originally, oops!) which is one of the reasons I found it concerning.

Latest posts

Back