Excessive scratching!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkits24

Hi
my chinchilla Jynx just recently started to excessively scratch himself like a dog and bite at his fur. I can tell something is bothering him and I'm not sure if it's fleas or mites. I don't think it's fleas otherwise I would have flea bites myself because I have turned my bedroom into a chin-proof play area. I do have a dog in the house but she has shown no signs of fleas herself. I also heard it could be because of too many dust baths as it can dry out their skin pretty quickly. I've had him for five months and he normally got dust baths daily until I learned it should be 2-3 times a week. He has aspen as his bedding and I was wondering if he could possibly be allergic? I heard that chinchillas can have allergies to pine. I used to use carefresh except he is a little pigglet and would munch the carefresh and I didn't feel comfortable with him ingesting it.
He doesn't have scabby patches on his ears or fur patches missing. He seems normal, eats poops everywhere and drinks lots of water.
I would love to hear everyone's feedback because he's my baby and I am really concerned!
I haven't yet taken him in for a vet check-up but am thinking of making an appointment.

Any advice would help!
Thanks guys!

Has anything in his environment changed recently, something that might have stressed him out? Any weight loss?

No weight loss and nothing has changed other than me adding an extra shelf in his cage, and switching from carefresh to aspen bedding. He has tons of energy and always comes up to the front of his cage for cuddles. He runs on his flying saucer wheel and popcorns like crazy during playtime. It just bothers me that he's scratching so frequently!n

My Lola was a scratcher and it wasn't until I added herbs to her diet that she stopped. I know what how upsetting it is when you try different things and your little one still scratches.

I got some great advice from an administrator on another forumn and I found her skin was dry not because of too many baths but because of her diet. She gets quality pellets and hay but the addition of herb mixes to her diet did the trick. A lot of the commercial pellets are nutritionally balanced but not all nutrients are readily absorbed by every chin. Lola was one of those chins that needed to have her diet supplemented by herbs.

She actually thinks her daily herbs are treats. It has actually activated her instinct to forrage and is better with eating her hay and pellets now while maintaining a healty weight.

FuzziesKingdom has a great variety including a Dry Skin Mix that Lola gets once or twice a week. They are reasonably priced and the package lasts quite a while because you only give them a small amount (1/4 - 1/2 Teaspoon).

It's worth a try.

Latest posts

Back