Excessive and Painful Preening?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khammy

My 2 girls are great together but I've noticed one practice that I don't like and wanted to get some advice to make sure it's not a big issue.

My girls preen each other but Sabi, every once in a while, must either bite too hard or pulls out fur near the back of Peanut's ears. They usually don't do it when I'm watching them, but I notice it when I hear this little chin schreech coming from the cage. Most times, it happens just once, but occasionally I hear 2 or 3 in a sitting. This is not a daily occurrence though.

When I first discovered this, I used to check Peanut's ears and fur and there's no blood or rawness, and I used to yell "Sabi, no picking on Peanut" to which she looks at me with the "what are you talking about, I would never do anything like that look". I should snap a pic of that look some day, it's a classic.

Since then, I haven't paid it too much attention because I realized that although Sabi is the one causing the ouches, Peanut is the one in charge and let's Sabi do it. Peanut is my sweet and quiet chin, but when she's had enough, she puts a stop to it fast enough.

Anyhoo, long story short, I've been reading in the forums about signs of aggression between chin and horror stories that I don't even want to think about. Although I think I'm OK, I don't want to come back one day and have to post "OMG, I saw signs but did nothing til it was too late".

Am I being too much of a worry wart with this? P.S. Does anyone know how to make Sabi stop? Someone told me that if it was like a kid, you could bite them back so they know how it feels, but I'm not going to chomp my chin.. haha.

Grooming is totally normal and a noise or two here and there isn't a big deal at all. The vocalization you're hearing is just Peanut telling Sabi that she's being too rough. They tend to get into grooming zones when they're tired and don't realize how much pressure they're applying, which is when the groomee tells them. Some signs of aggression are bent or broken whiskers, fur tufts in the cage, excessive chasing and kacking, and noticeably submissive or dominant behavior. It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about but it's wonderful that you're being so observant! I wish more people would follow your lead.

Some chinchillas groom rougher than others. It's not uncommon for one to "screech" a little as if to say, "Ow, knock it off." If that's the only thing going on, I'm not inclined to say they're headed for doom or anything. (Nor would I advocate doing anything to Sabi, as that won't help anything.)

Just keep an eye on them and if the situation escalates at all, or if Sabi starts chewing Peanut's fur more, then you may need to reevaluate.

Back