Ever calculated a lifetime of breeding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encantadora

LvL Chinchillas
I'm just curious if other breeders have ever calculated or counted how many kits their older females have had in a lifetime? I'll bet some girls are pretty amazing.

I have an excel sheet that keeps track of the number of kits an female has, the colors, still births, etc. I do the same for my males. It can be quite surprising when you look at the numbers.

Chin-rec tells us how many each female has had, dates born and their out come. Jeri prints this out a few times a year when I go to evaluate who stays and who goes.

Chin-rec tells us how many each female has had, dates born and their out come. Jeri prints this out a few times a year when I go to evaluate who stays and who goes.

Okay - not to sound like an idiot if this is something I should already know Randy - but what is chin-rec???

A program written to track chinchilla records. Most anything you are willing to take the time to enter. Jeri does not have all of this years babies entered right now but one male has had 144 babies, and 2 females have had 39 in our history of almost 20,000 chins recorded.

That's like a whole herd from one momma!

I keep an excel sheet on everyone to but haven't been breeding long enough for "wow" statistics. A few keep having triplets though so their production will be pretty high.

I'm still on spreadsheets too. Been doing them for 15 years and it would take a lot of work to get that into a pedigree program. I actually built a program to crawl through them and build lineages for me because some go back 15+ generations.

Kintracks is a good program for people wanting to calculate stuff like this. It is free for Mac users and pretty cheap for PC users. I haven't gotten the import feature to work or I would probably be using it.

I also have a pedigree program that keeps track of this, though my numbers aren't as impressive as Randy's. The most kits born here from a male is 20, and I have two females that have had 8 kits each while with me.

Our top male would be one bought from JAGS with 63 kits born so far, thanks again. And we have a female here that has birthed 16 kits.

I have one female that has produced 16 kits - because she has quads each time. Each time they are healthy kits and she feeds all with no supplementing. She is 5 years old so who knows how many she will produce before she is done. I retire my females at 6-7 years

I have a male that has produced 32 kits and female that has produced 12. I only have 13 breeders and they range in age from 2 to 7.

I also have my program that keeps track.

Mish has given me 7 in 2 litters.

Kanuk has given me 12 in 5 litters

Last edited:
My first breeder, second chin- Angel, gave me 22 kits if I am adding all the litters up right.

Our top male would be one bought from JAGS with 63 kits born so far, thanks again. And we have a female here that has birthed 16 kits.

This male was/is my foundation beige male (the first of only 2 beige males we have ever purchased for our show line), and has produced the best beige animals we have had born here. If you have ever bought a beige from us, more than likely he is in your pedigree. He is JAGS T726

Had to hand count Ronda's because she used spreadsheets. They were FF-134 in 6 years, Dane-105 in 7 years and V010-Viophire 40 in two years. :)) There were many others, but those are the ones I remembered the names of.

It really depends on how many females you have in with the males too. The Viophire had a run of 12 vs. FF had a run of 6.

Must be something with the Jags males - my highest producing guy was a med eb from him too :) I'd have to look at my records but I am sure he's in the 20's with only 2-3 run holes open to him at a time.

Back