Etsy shop

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorMadeChinchillas

I know the rules to the classified section so I will not post anything to break those rules.I was curious how many people on here either buy from esty or have a shop if their own.

I have don't have a shop on Etsy but do purchase things from time to time, and have considered opening a shop. The only deterrent is stories of those that have and get their designs hijacked. It seems to be an increasing trend/and or complaint among a lot of vendors.

I look through Etsy a lot and while I don't go there for anything animal related (usually staring at clothing or pocket watches or fandom-based items), a lot of people who make corsets sell through Etsy. I know for a fact that in the corsetiere community, a lot of them are having issues with people taking their photos and selling cheap knock-offs of their work (not only on Etsy, but Etsy is a big issue...). Etsy sellers will also sometimes buy cheap, poorly patterned plastic boned bustiers and either sell them at a large mark-up as is or add minor embellishments and sell them at an even HIGHER markup as proper steel boned waist training corsets that they've made themselves. I've heard a lot of horror stories of people NOT getting what they paid for at ALL buying through Etsy.

Because of this, I'm cautious about buying off of Etsy. I've never bought anything from Etsy but there's lots of things I'd LIKE to buy if I had the money and weren't so paranoid. Obviously there are plenty of legit stores (If i'm going to keep going with the corset example, there are plenty of legitimate corsetieres who sell genuine high quality pieces through Etsy who have a good reputation, but if I didn't know their reputation from the community outside Etsy I would be cautious about ordering a garment that can cost hundreds there).

There certainly are problems with image and design theft on Etsy, and although lots of people buy from Etsy sellers and it can be a good way to start/expand a business, that's definitely something to keep in mind.

I have only purchased off of Etsy one time, and it was from AnnieO's store that's listed in the classified section. Once I found her Etsy page though, I also found her on Facebook and now just order through her site listed there.

Back