Ethnic food recipes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilight Chinchillas

Zookeeper extraordinaire
I love trying new things. Having married a Pacific Islander we sometimes eat things that most people don't. A lot of our food has lemon, chili pepper, coconut milk etc. Squid, ocean fish, octopus.... You get the general idea.
I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that might have recipes to share. You know the ethnic type, other than Mac n Cheese?
Maybe even a twist on some of those old classic american favorites? My daughter, and I like to experiment.

Hmmm. What specific types of cuisine are you wanting to try? I have a gazillion recipes but could help you more if you narrowed it down. Are you looking for recipes with seafood, or without for variation?

Some with our with out. We don't eat seafood all the time. We also like Indian food with lots of curry. We're open to most things.

I love to make a version of Tom Ka Kai soup (it's Thai; but who knows how authentic my is as I am not Thai!):

* 2 whole Chicken Breast, Cut In Chunks
* 1 whole Onion, Chopped
* 4 cups Chicken Broth
* 1 cup Chopped Shiitake Mushrooms (regular Mushrooms Work, Too)
* 14 ounces, fluid Canned Coconut Milk
* 1 Tablespoon Red, Yellow, Or Green Curry Paste
* 2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce Or Soy Sauce
* ¼ cups Sugar
* 1 piece Lime Wedges
* ½ teaspoons Red Chili Flakes
* Pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
* ¼ cups Cilantro, Chopped (could also use basil, if you hate cilantro)

In a large sauce pan, cook the chicken in a little bit of oil until done, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the remaining ingredients except for the tomatoes and cilantro. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and cilantro and cook until warmed through. Taste and adjust seasoning. If you want it sweeter, add more sugar. If it needs more salt, add a little more fish sauce (it's a strong ingredient--be careful!).If you like it a bit more spicy, add a little more red chili flakes. Serve with the lime wedges to squeeze in whenever eaten.

You could also add whatever other veggies you'd like--green/red/orange bell peppers, snap peas, whatever!

I LOVE this soup; it's delicious!

I'm vegetarian, but I like some Indian recipes interpreted by Emeril on Foodnetwork.com, especially Aloo Palak, I make that often. That site is my food bible. I love spicy food in many ethnicities, if I can make it vegetarian. Speaking of mac n cheese, Aarti has a great Thai red curry mac n cheese, it's soooo good! LOL I know that's probably not what you meant!

My only "original" recipe is my "protein mix" I make with quinoa, white rice, and lentils. I use curry powder to taste, salt, pepper, olive oil, and a bit of creole seasoning as well. It's a great go-to dinner or side for me, and keeps in the fridge for at least several weeks.

My bf also loves chinese style food, so sometimes I use a black bean garlic paste mixed with veggie oil and soy sauce, poured over stir fried long noodles and any veggies we like. Most popular here are peppers, edamame, and broccoli. It's easy, quick, and good.

I probably didn't help you out at all, sorry, I was just sharing. I am interested in this topic though, if anyone else has any recipes it'd be awesome!

The closest thing to 'ethnic' we make here is Mexican rice and tacos or enchiladas (and then the sauce is from a can...tried making my own but it was not pretty). I like making Mexican rice...it's my best dish.

Maia, that's ok! Nothing wrong with sharing any info, even if it's not a recipe. :)
Beanjelly- YUM!!!

Here is my all time favorite. I prefer cooking, as in baking, or boiling my chicken WITH BONE, to add more flavor, before deboning. This recipe goes great with fresh tortillas, and rice. It's not really a main dish, but can be.
If you wanted to cheat, you could brown some ground turkey.

Chicken Kelaguen
10 chicken thighs (boneless and skinless)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green onion, finely chopped
5 hot pepper (donne' sali or thai peppers)
1 cup freshly grated coconut
juice from six medium lemons
lemon flavored powder (if you got it)
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. BBQ,Boil or broil chicken (no seasoning added) till done. Let cool.
2. Chop chicken meat into small pieces with a knife or use handheld chopper
3. Place in bowl and add onions, hot peppers, black peppers, grated coconut, lemon juice/powder, salt and mix thoroughly
4. If needed add more salt, lemon powder, or hot peppers till you achieved the desired taste
5. Add green onions last and give one final mix.

I like making Mexican rice...it's my best dish.

Will you share that recipe? Mexican rice is something I haven't had much luck with.

My family loves this recipe for Shrimp Pad Thai. Which is great, because although Thai is probably my favorite ethnic cuisine, the rest of my family is not crazy about it. This one, they gobble up though.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/stir-fried-noodles-shrimp-chiles-lime.aspx

I make Chicken Tikka Masala at home. I've used the recipe from Cook's Illustrated, but honestly, I don't usually make my own sauce. I just marinate the chicken in yogurt, broil it, then toss it with Trader Joe's Masala sauce, serve with basmati rice. I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near you, but their Indian dishes are really quite good. I usually buy their Palak Paneer and naan to serve on the side.

This looks really good, and short of a couple items, I think we have everything else. Thanks for sharing! Alison, sure wish I had my Moms Spanish rice recipe, or would have paid attention when she was still around. Ramos could live on Mexican food!

i don't really use recipes when i cook, i just toss things in a pan and hope they come out tasting good, lol! i like to use the VH brand cooking sauces a lot, and they have a nice tandoori one (i always cut it with 1/3 milk to take the bite out). not sure if VH brand is available in the States, but definitely worth looking into.

I normally don't either unless it's a new recipe, once or twice after getting used to making it, I then kind of do things my way. The one who can really cook in this house is my daughter. She actually wants to take culinary classes. Same kiddo that wanted to be a mechanic also, go figure.
I wish we could find lemon powder here. We use it a lot when we have it, but often you have to have family send it from Guam, or if someone is heading to Japan. That doesn't happen often! lol

oh, the things you can find on google! i found you a listing of the organic food handlers, etc in Washington. page 14 has 'lemon grass powder' listed. not too sure if that's what you mean by lemon powder though.

http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/Organic/docs/wsda_cert_org_handlers.pdf

that list could also be a good place to look for new wood suppliers too! pruning time is coming soon for orchards.......

Last edited:
Mexican Rice

So here's my Mexican rice recipe. When making dinner, start your rice first. It needs your full attention and will keep while the other stuff cooks. Get all ingredients together ahead of time. Use long grain rice for best results...short grain can work, but not as well.

The Veggies: (can leave these out if you want, taste better with)
1/2 large jalepeno, sliced round, de-seed if you wish
2 Tablespoons finely diced onion
1 clove garlic, diced fine or minced

1/2 cup oil (I prefer coconut oil)
2 cups long grain rice
8 oz tomato sauce
3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable...I use store bought low sodium organic)
garlic powder
chili powder
cumin
rosemary
salt (optional)
pepper (optional)

I use a wok pan (like this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/2762092758_5eed1dcf84.jpg?v=0). A large sauce pan, stock pot, or frying pan will work too. Must have a lid.

With the stove on Med-High, put oil in the pan and heat it up. Add all the vegetable and sautee for 30 second or so. Then add the rice (uncooked). Stir the rice so it gets coated in oil and the veggies mix in. Toast the rice. Stir frequently to keep it from burning. It will change color slightly as it toasts. (This is where most people mess up. Over toasting will give you crunchy rice; not toasted enough and it will be sticky...if you let it set too long it will burn.)

When most, but not all, of the rice is toasted add the broth and tomato sauce. Stir it up so the liquids are mixed with the rice. Turn your temperature down to medium heat.

Now add your seasonings. I don't usually measure, but roughly 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 2-3 big pinches of chili powder, 1 Tablespoons cumin, 1 teaspoon rosemary, and a little salt and pepper if you wish (you may not need salt if your broth had salt in it). Stir it all up and then taste the liquid. Tasting is very important. This is close to what your final product will taste like and now is the time to adjust for flavor (and spiciness). Add more seasoning as desired. Heat until the liquid is bubbling. Then turn your stove down to simmer and put the lid on and leave it. Go cook the rest of your food.

When you come back to your rice (15-20 minutes), it will have absorbed all or most of the liquid. Just stir it up and serve.

You can easily tweak this recipe to your tastes as you wish. I like a lot of flavor and little spicy. To adjust for smaller or larger portions, just make sure you have twice as much liquid (broth + tomato sauce) and you do rice.

Last edited:
I'm vegetarian, but I like some Indian recipes interpreted by Emeril on Foodnetwork.com, especially Aloo Palak, I make that often. That site is my food bible. I love spicy food in many ethnicities, if I can make it vegetarian. Speaking of mac n cheese, Aarti has a great Thai red curry mac n cheese, it's soooo good! LOL I know that's probably not what you meant!

My only "original" recipe is my "protein mix" I make with quinoa, white rice, and lentils. I use curry powder to taste, salt, pepper, olive oil, and a bit of creole seasoning as well. It's a great go-to dinner or side for me, and keeps in the fridge for at least several weeks.

My bf also loves chinese style food, so sometimes I use a black bean garlic paste mixed with veggie oil and soy sauce, poured over stir fried long noodles and any veggies we like. Most popular here are peppers, edamame, and broccoli. It's easy, quick, and good.

I probably didn't help you out at all, sorry, I was just sharing. I am interested in this topic though, if anyone else has any recipes it'd be awesome!

I'm a vegetarian also so maybe you can share some receipes with me! =)

Sorry Christine I don't have many ethnic recipes on hand..even though I'm Asian, I mostly cook American or Italian food for my boyfriend lol

Your so funny Stephanie! Probably why I like my ethnic foods, I run from the Haole food I grew up on potatoes, with potatoes, with meat and more meat! lol
I'd dig threw and see if I can find you some veggie dishes, or ones that can be played around with using a substitute like tofu.

Latest posts

Back