Escapee!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockWrapsody

Woke up this morning around 6:15am to hear something munching under the bed. We live in an older home and have mice that get in every once and awhile, the rats usually stay outside! I knew Izzy's cage was closed, heard him jumping in his cage and he has NEVER got out so that was not a concern then................heard the noise again so I got up to check on Izzy....just to be sure and what did I find? The little turds bottom cage door..............WIDE OPEN! The little stinker somehow got the door open and ran around the house last night! I looked around for poops but did not see any that were not around his cage. So.............my question is.......What do I watch for? Doesn't look like he got into anything, nothing chewed up, just a tiny spot on the leg of the bed. Izzy always runs back in to the cage when we have playtime so I am hoping that is what he did.........explore and then run back in the cage.

Second question..........Do chins bark in thier sleep? Izzy has never made a sound until the other evening, sleeping in his cage and then two separate bark times about 8 minutes apart. Not a sound since.

So, what do you guys think.
Thank you,
Sheri

Little brat! Watch his eating, drinking, pooping and peeing. If they stay normal he will probably be alright.

Yes chins talk in their sleep. One of mine gives the warning call regularly.

Use a lighter colored fleece in his cage so that you can keep a close eye on his poo for the next few days... size and amount. If he's still eating, drinking and pooping normally, he's probably fine. Just make sure you secure that door so that you don't have the same issue again.

And yes, they can definitely bark in their sleep...some more loudly than others! :))

Mine regularly barks/warning calls in his sleep. Then he wakes up and glares at me as if I had something to do with it before repositioning himself and dozing off again.

But yeah, just monitor him for the next few days and hopefully it'll turn out everything is fine.

I keep "s" hooks on the doors of my FN. It's a double check for me to make sure my doors are locked.

Just as all the others said. Watch his poo for the next few days.

I had a chin that had the run of the chin room one night when he figured out that he could squeeze through a spot on the old cage I was using. His brother was too fat to get through. First, they were confined to their own room with no cords or anything so that was a good thing but I found him on the window ledge sitting right next to the screen with a 1" hole in it! It was summer time so the windows were open.

If you see another post by me, that was when I bought the hardware cloth. I have since graduated to FNs for everyone. I know many of my friends who use S hooks on the FNs just to be on the safe side.

Never underestimate a wily chinchilla.

Good advice from everyone above. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back