Escaped Chinchilla!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline

Of all days for this to happen! What do I do?! Eiffel wallsurfed out of his cage this morning just before I was about to leave to drive daughter to school. I think he may have squeezed between wall and IKEA Pax wall unit, a 2.5 inch space and is now hiding under it. I have looked everywhere else in the room. I had shut the door when I left so he has got to very in here, besides there is no poop anywhere else. My nephew is getting married this morning and I will be gone all day. What do I do if I can't catch him before I need to leave?

Ok, now in panic! He isn't under wardrobe!

I see him, little rat!

Still not caught, dustbath not working, any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would close the toilet seat if you haven't already, as chins have known to drown. Have you tried calling his name, to see if that works. You could try a treat you know he really likes and try to lure him out, if he is still under the wardrobe. Or ask another person to help you catch him.

When mine used to get out, my mom would help me catch them. She would stand on one side and I would on the other and if one of us didn't catch them the other one would.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
yes two people def help if you need to catch a chin....I would be concerned about leaving chin out for a long time because if you go they can chew wires...and eat /ingest other stuff....laying a cardboard box with hay and food may help corral chin....some love boxes my chin loves to jump in cardboard boxes ( they think they are hiding) and then u can catch him...I hope U get chin soon and have a good time at the wedding too!

Panic is over. Eiffel has been caught and returned to his cage. He was to worked up to come for treats. Didn't have two people as everyone had left for school. Room is reasonably safe for chins, no wires or things that would hurt them. Only things that they can chew on are Ikea wicker baskets and cardboard boxes. Door is kept securily closed all the time.

Does your cage need to be baby-proofed? (Is Eiffel one of the kits?) If he got out once, it could happen again, and possibly have a worse outcome.

So glad to hear he has been caught, and on such a busy day! Enjoy the rest of your day knowing that he is once again safe!

I keep a small Hav-a-hart live trap for this very occasion. I put it along the wall where he might be running. You can also bait it with a treat. They are relatively inexpensive and you only need to buy them once.

Great idea, I have a large one for erscheint feral kittens, which would be to large for a chin. I will check into getting a small one. What size do you recommend?

Erscheint? I think I was trying to say catching. Have my phone set to autocorrect in both German and English.

Glad you caught him :) My little girl Lilo got out once, fortunately the dustbath worked. Won't be leaving both FN doors open at the same time again! How did he get out? Was the cage open or did he squeeze out? If he squeezed out, I'm surprised he hasn't done it more often!

I was standing right in front of the cage petting Hayley and Eiffel. Eiffel started wallsurfing and went to surf off the door, which wasn't there anymore and out he bounced.

Does your cage need to be baby-proofed? (Is Eiffel one of the kits?) If he got out once, it could happen again, and possibly have a worse outcome.

So glad to hear he has been caught, and on such a busy day! Enjoy the rest of your day knowing that he is once again safe!

Cage is babyproofed with hardware cloth. Eiffel is daddy who now lives upstairs with Hayley. Babies are Cookie and Esmerelda, both females.

Cage is babyproofed with hardware cloth. Eiffel is daddy who now lives upstairs with Hayley. Babies are Cookie and Esmerelda, both females.

Ugh, names-I'm no good with them! lol. I just read how Eiffel escaped. Sounds like he got too excited for his own good! Glad he is back where he belongs. And make sure you keep taking pics of those precious babes, they are so adorable!

Back