Emergency kit?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK23

What supplies would be good to have on hand at all times in case of injury or something out of the ordinary?

If you have to hand feed, oral syringes are very useful.

Critical Care (perishable, but can be stored in refrigerators)

Blu-Kote (sp?)

Bag Balm (sp?)

Vinegar diluted for cleaning

Peroxide again for cleaning

Denatured alcohol again for cleaning

Small cage with fleece for "hospital quarantine"

Sure others will chime in with more suggestions and further clarify why on the above mentioned items.

If you want to buy one, there's a pretty sweet set up at QMC. Just search for "Emergency Medical Kit".

That one is nice, you have everything there but it's $90!! A lot of the stuff you might already have in your medicine cabinet, like gauze or antibiotic ointment, safe wound wash etc.

I have some CC, a few syringes of various sizes, dyne, blu-kote, lifeline, activated charcoal and I think that's it (I have some bandages, wound dressing, topical antibiotic etc in my medicine cabinet also that would be chin safe) I want to get more stuff but I think for now it's decent.

I have a question: can you safely freeze critical care for long term storage? If you can't and you just keep it in the fridge, how long would you say it lasts? I'd just like to have some on hand, in case, but I don't want to buy it every 2 months or anything....

Oxbow says it's good for a year in the freezer, 6 months in the fridge. I've used expired CC before and have noticed no difference. The base is ground up hay. Hay isn't going to "expire."

Thank you! This is very good to know. I'm going to get some and freeze it, I think.

Latest posts

Back