Effects of stress on pregnant chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinfonian

Hi all, I was wondering if any of you know if pregnant chins can suffer any additional (or worse) effects of stress than they normally would. I ask because, while my chins are now much better adjusted to my new apartment, they are clearly bothered sometimes by a yowling dog down the hall. One of them was also freaking out a bit during a major thunderstorm last night. Can a pregnant chin be more sensitive to environmental stress?

Sure they can. ANY chin can be affected by undue stress, so it stands to reason that a pregnant (and hormonal) chin would be susceptable to stress as well.

Have you tried playing a radio or a TV for her to provide some background noise and block out the noise that is upsetting her? A lot of people play a radio in their chin barn all the time to help settle their chins down and keep them from being bothered by every sound they hear. Is she in a place where you can do that?

If she's continually jumping around, when she has those kits they are going to end up in danger if she keeps stomping ON them. If the radio helps calm her down, that would be to her benefit, and the kits once they are born.

I know that any chin can be susceptible to stress, but I'm asking if there's any reason to believe that a pregnant chin can be more susceptible.

I do leave a tv playing for them often, especially when I'm out, but only one of my girls seems to like it (not the suspected pregnant one). The one who watches is a complete tv junkie, though. :)

So far the suspected pregnant chin doesn't jump around any more than usual. She's been a moody girl since I first got her, so it's often difficult to determine if she's genuinely upset or just being pissy.

Yes, I think a pregnant chin is more susceptible to stress. Any pregnant woman can probably tell you that they agree. I guess maybe it is that she has more to lose, and has that maternal instinct to protect, so noises that may not bother her before may now bother her, or scare her. I don't think there is much else you can do, but try to maybe get a fan going and the tv in the room to quiet the other noises, have you tried rescue remedy? That may be good in this case, I don't know too much about it so I would make sure it is ok for pregnant chins first.

I might also think that pregnant chins feel more vulnerable as well.

I'm going to relate this as "it worked for me", and I don't know exactly why.
Since I began using LifeLine 2 - 3 times a week, it seems the whole herd "chilled out"!
Squabbles stopped, fighting is non-exhistant and even nerviousness has gone away! Even some rescues stopped their "bad habits" and became more like the rest.
Kits are being born larger, and my mortality rate is way down!
Maybe a happy gut is a happy chin, but again, it works for me!!

I recomend playing the radio. Pregnant females and nursing mom's are more susecptable to stress. When we had the siding done I lost a whole bunch of new babies as well as had several misscarriages, not to mention the fights.

I use pre-birth herbal supplement when I know my females are pregnant and stop after birth of kits and switch over to nursing herbal supplement for 10 days. Since I have been using these supplements all of them are calm and seem so happy.

Peaceful Mom – Premium Organic & Natural Pre-Birth Herbal Supplement

Peaceful Mom – Premium Organic & Natural Nursing Herbal Supplment

Back