Eek! Help with pairing chins!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SookiFace1

After Sensi got out Of quarantine 2 weeks ago I placed her and Sookie's cages side by side and have swapped cages a few times. They seemed comfortable with each others scents and were even reaching through the bars to each other so I figured I'd try introducing them in the bathroom with vanilla on their noses and butts and the dust bath. As Sensi was taking a bath Sookie kind of nose butted her where the dab f vanila was. Every time after that when they'd see each other they'd do this weird nose butt/scuffle. I completely freaked out and separated them. Am I doing something wrong? Was the nose thing a common response to the vanilla? Was this an act if aggression? They didn't chase each other or make noises but I'm just scared of one if them getting hurt :(

sigh.. so I'm guessing this is just an odd occurance that has never happened to them before... Can anyone tell me what the specific obvious signs of aggression are? like do they always make noise and does it take them a while of being with the other chin to actually bite or do they just get irritated and begin to chomp?

When i put Lola and Dotty together, Lola kept jumping on Dottys back, i freaked out thinking maybe Lola was a Luke and split them up...Turned out it was just about dominance and Lola still once in a while will pee on Dottys back. Ive also noticed that my girlies chatter to each other and i also freaked when they started to groom each other thinking they were taking bites out of each other.....I just kept trying with it and learnt what they were both doing, the only time i split them up is the first night together in their cage when fur literally went flying and then i tried again the next day...

Because I breed in colonies / pairs, I am always introducing new animals to each other. Chasing and sniffing is to be expected... if there is alot of fur flying or any blood (obvious, but always good to state), seperate and place next to each other again.

Make sure there is at least one hiding place when introducting as well (a house or a tube). In most cases, one animal will stay in the hiding place, while the other one sneaks up for a smell every once in a while.

When you do eventually introduce them into the same cage, the first 24 hours are most critical. I normally do introductions on the weekend and in the morning. That way I can watch them all day, to see how they are doing, and then set my alarm every 2 hours at night for a quick check during "busy hours".

Thank you guys soo much for replying !! I will try again tomorrow morning and see what happens... Would you suggest trying the vanilla again or try it without?

Latest posts

Back