Eating pee soaked shavings?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so I'm trying to potty train my chin to pee in a dish. I bought a Pyrex dish and got aspen wood shavings. I took the pee soaked shavings and put them inside the dish. As soon as I put that in her cage she ran over and immediately began eating them one by one...... And she hasn't stopped.

What do I do!! I need to train her to pee in the dish so I can cover the wire mesh bottom of the cage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you put any clean shavings in there?

I wouldn't worry about it...as said they can be nasty. Aspen is safe. If it was carefresh it'd be a issue.

Yep, normal chin behavior. Dale likes to eat the shavings after Rufus pees on them, then he uses the remaining dry shavings to roll in for a bath.

I recently moved my boys from separate cages w/ aspen shavings into a new FN182 w/ fleece instead; our little Mojo had no problem with the move, but Gizmo was all out of sorts & couldn't figure out where to pee (he refuses to pee on the carpet thankfully & always ran back to his cage to do his business). He kept peeing on himself, the uncovered shelving, etc. so I bought a pyrex container & filled it with clean aspen shavings topped with a few soiled shavings from his old cage. It's worked like a charm now, but yes Gizmo will pick out pieces to either chew or throw around quite often. I'd say it's normal, although not particularly appetizing!

Okay thanks guys for reassuring me that she won't get sick or anything from it!

I just don't know what to do because she won't pee in the Pyrex dish

I'm actually covering it with untreated pine wood. My grandpa cut out pieces that fit perfectly in the cage. I didn't want to use fleece because she actually eats fleece. I spent a whole day making a bed for her out of blizzard fleece with no stitches showing and she ate holes in it

Latest posts

Back