Eating Paper

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

So my chins are chewing on cardboard and pulling off bits of paper (like off of those tubes) and eating them? Why do they like paper so much? and is it bad for them?

Are you sure they're eating them? Mine will tear cardboard/bagels/etc up some, and there will be shredded bits of it about her cage.

I used to give mine all the cardboard tubes I could find, as long as there was no ink - they'd chew 'em up instantly, but spit out most of it - never had a problem!

Fatso shreds the paper off the box and sits there with the paper chewing it like it's food. It seems to me like he is actually eating. I'll have to watch more carefully. The easiest way to keep them from my baseboards is with small cardboard boxes. They attack those.

Yeah, I'd watch carefully sometime. When I had first started using Carefresh bedding, Shiina would go down and investigate, and I'd creep up real close(ninja like!) to her cage to watch and make sure she wasn't eating it.

Most of the time chins just seem to like to shred paper or cardboard into a million pieces. I'm thinking it must be fun for them to do...it wouldn't seem to do much good for their teeth. But most likely your chin isn't eating the cardboard, but you should see visible evidence around the cage.

Back