Eating Bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BookWorm

I caught my brand new chin eating her carefresh bedding yesterday. I have scooped all the bedding out and replaced it with a sheet of fleece I had (I'm crafty, I just have that kind of stuff) and plan to make real pan liners later today. I am not sure whether to be worried about her belly or not. I don't really know her habits at all, but she seems to just sit around curled up an awful lot. Is this a sign that her stomach hurts and I should bring her to the vet? I am not sure what "normal" chin behavior looks like yet.

The issue with eating the carefresh bedding is that it can expand in her belly or gut, so what you want to watch for mostly is if she is pooping, drinking and eating, if she stops doing any or all of those a vet check is in order. You said she is brand new so she could be just be scared still which would explain the sitting around. Some chins can take a long time to come around, it's not uncommon for them to hid (in a house or corner of the cage) for awhile and only explore and eat when no one is around until they feel comfortable with you. So long as she isn't acting lethargic, (moving slowly, acting limp) she might be ok. Also chinchillas sleep a lot, and are most awake at dawn and dusk, so early morning and late evening. Most do get up for a bite to eat and stuff through out the day but wont stay up long.

Thank you, Amethyst. She is still eating like a champ. I think she stealth-drinks, I don't see her do that often. She makes a coughing sound sometimes when I give her ear scritchies, but I wasn't sure if that was a sound of illness or just a "bark" of "I'm not really comfortable with you yet." She still seems to love them even with the cough. I think I will bring her out to the vet on my next day off anyway just to get them acquainted (and to give my poor self some peace of mind!).

Latest posts

Back