Easy transition to new home?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morselchip87

Hi all,

I just took a job yesterday that will have me working in Florida for three months starting in October. I currently live in St. Louis. I don't have very many details at the moment on where I'm staying - if it's a hotel, or if I get money to get an apartment, etc. (Yes, I took the job without ANY details - but it's a great opportunity) So I'm unsure if I can take Gizmo with me or not - I really want to. Since this transition is scheduled to happen within the next 3 weeks, I'm trying to figure out a backup plan.

My boyfriend has offered to watch him until I get back but I'm worried about how Gizmo will handle it. He has just gotten use to me and is still unsure about my boyfriend. I've only had him for 6 months and am his 3rd home over his short 4.5 years of life. The reason I'm concerned is that my boyfriend has an African Grey Parrot and a dog. The dog and Gizmo met once over the 4th of July and did not get along. The parrot talks pretty much all night once my B/F gets home and until he goes to bed. We aren't sure if he talks during the day when no one is home.

My B/F said that he'd keep Gizmo in his bedroom which is away from the dog and parrot, the dog stays in the kitchen and the parrot in the living room. I just don't know what the best way to get Gizmo use to being over there is. My house is extremely quiet; it'll be a lot for him to get use to.

Would it be a good idea to take him over there a week before I leave? That way he still has something familiar (me) for a week while he starts to transition? Would it be better to try a weekend stay before we do the week-long stay? Or is cold-turkey best? Any ideas/thoughts/experiences are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle

I would have him there for at least a few days with you still present and try to keep every thing as calm as posible around him, my chin room has for the last 6 years also been the home to my cockatiel... He skwaks constantly whistles chaters and flys around all day... The girls sleep through it...it doesn't bother them...
For your guy it is a sudden change tho, and I would keep him away from the AG mainly because large birds have large beaks ...
He will prob still hear the bird and may be upset for a week but if you have your bf keep the same schedual you do the transition should go a bit more smoothly... Be sure that he knows what to do if the little guy is 'off' in any way while your gone.

Melbur10, that's funny, because my chin and my cockatiel live in the same room too! The cockatiel shrieks all day and Buddha just sleeps through it. :)

Thought I would post a quick update.

Gizmo moved in with my BF this past Saturday. He's enjoying the new digs as much as he can. His ears would perk up every time he heard the dog or bird, but he's getting use to it I hope. His personality is definitely showing through by not allowing me to give him his usual belly scratches as easily - he's probably asking "Why did you do this to me, mom?". He'll come around eventually I hope!

I've given the BF enough supplies to last the 3 months I should be gone. As well as a list of do's and don'ts. One thing I still need to do before I leave (on Monday!) is find a good Exotic's Vet near him. He's in Belleville, Illinois which is close to St. Louis. I've never been, but would use Creve Coeur Animal Hospital if needed. He was just looking for something closer. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks again,
Michelle

Back