Eagles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Queen Becky, Ruler of Purpleland
For all of you looking for something addictive, check this out.

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Mama Eagle laid her first egg last night. She usually lays 3. The first one should hatch in 35 days. Last year, my third graders had a great time watching the babies grow up!

I love watching the eagles! D12 and D13 have hatched, waiting for D14 to come :D

I was just watching them today! It sounds like the nest is close to a road, and maybe at a home or farm? Heard some type of machinery running today....

oh, and I posted this on fb which is fun to watch and something you don't see everyday. This is of a bald eagle, so doesn't relate to the decorah eagle nest, but very interesting to watch if you love eagles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xNpOYOlQ4&feature=share

Last edited:
The nest is on private property, next to a fairly busy road. The farm it is on has horses and dogs. There is a fish hatchery right there, so you will often see fish parts in the nest.

My third graders are loving watching the eggs and now the babies.

I got to watch the one parent come in and take over for the other. I witnessed a feeding earlier, but the eagle strategically stood in the way of the camera...but I did catch some glimpses of the babies. So cute!

I can't remember how to tell the difference between the female and male......

I watched from the egg laying to the fledging last year. Unfortunately this year I don't have that much spare time but I've been keeping an eye on them!

I got to watch the one parent come in and take over for the other. I witnessed a feeding earlier, but the eagle strategically stood in the way of the camera...but I did catch some glimpses of the babies. So cute!

I can't remember how to tell the difference between the female and male......

They say the female is bigger then the male, and has more of a "scowl" look. She takes up almost all the nest, while the male takes up only about half

Wow! The hatchlings are getting so big and active! One seems to be dominant over the other two. They are so much fun to watch!

So sad :(

One of the eagle babies has dies recently as it was electrocuted from a power pole. Here is a quote from the Decorah Eagle site:

"July 3, 2012
We are very sorry to announce that D12 is dead. D12 was found electrocuted at the base of a power pole on a Sunday morning. We notified the power company, who modified the top of that pole on Sunday and several other poles in the area on Monday. As of this morning, they are continuing to identify and modify poles to make them raptor safe."

Wow that's awful! I had alot of fun watching them grow while I was recovering from surgery. I had been checking in on them about 2-3 times a week, but them seem to be gone every time I look so I have not been back for a little while.....very sad!

Latest posts

Back