Dying wood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toxxxic.kitten

I was wondering how you would about dying natural colored wood. Do you just stick some food coloring in water and set the wood in there? For how long?

I use the kool aid method. You just add a pack of kool aid to enough water to cover all the parts you are going to dye and if you want the color to be more vibrant you can use more than 1 pack. I've even tried this with pumice and it worked.

I've left them in overnight. You just want to make sure they are completely dried before giving them to your chin. I usually make it a summer project and let them sit out in the sun for about 8 hours, but you can also dry them out in your oven around like 175-200

Never tried coloring the pumice. This gives me a cute idea for Christmas. Canning jars, some Christmas fabric for the tops and color the pumice in red, and green, and make gifts to my chin friends!!

A friend puts koolaid in squirt bottles and spray paints her animals with it, lol
I don't know how many packs to a qt bottle but she has some funny looking alpaca's for open house :dance3:

I have tried the Kool aid and to get the color I want I've had to leave it sit for 2 days weighted down.
I bought regular food coloring and a jar of the Wilton food color as I saw on here that it worked good.
My question is.... how do I mix the food color to apply it?
Add water and soak like the Kool aid or brush it on?

I used food coloring and I think it works better than kool aid. I just poured the food coloring and some water in a jar and put the pieces in and left them for a couple hours.

I use the good coloring put some food coloring in a baggie with water and shake the peices around. I only let them sit about and hour

Thanks for the advice I figured I'd have to add water to it. When I did it with the Wilton it is just sitting and not really adhering to the wood.
I'll work on it this weekend.
The Kool aid is working but like I said it has been sitting for a couple of days.
I'm going to put the wood in the oven for a little bit tonight.

Back