dusting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chexy114

I know you're supposed to provide a 10 minute dust bath about 3 times a week, and try to do that. Every time I have Momiji use his bath he'll only jump in for ten seconds at a time. He'll hop in, hop out a few times and then he's done with it. Is there a way to get him to dust for longer periods of time? Is that normal? I mean, his fur seems clean enough, but I've read on here how chins will dust themselves for 15 minutes at a time! I guess I'm just a little confused about it...

None of my chins dust for 15 minutes straight. I usually leave their bath out for 10-15 minutes and they hop in and out as they please, turning as much as they want and then going to run around a bit. It sounds totally normal what he's doing to me. He knows how long he wants to dust.

Depends on the chin. Atlas, Ninja, and Zim could probably stay in their dust containers rolling all day if you let them. Jemma sounds like your guy, just goes in a couple of times and she's done, and Pixie & Peanut are in between that. I usually leave it in for about ten minutes. With the humidity being low like it is though, I've only been dusting them once or twice a week. When it gets higher I do it every few days.

I give Idgie her bath a few times a week. She jumps in and out several times and then she is done. She seems to love it and gets excited when I put the tub in her cage. But it only takes her a total of 10-15 minutes to go in and out and be done. My previous chin was the same.

I usually give my chin a bath every 2-3 times a week. During the summer time, when it's more humid, I'll give dust house 3 times a week. During the winter months, when it's not humid, maybe 2 times a week.

I usually give her access to it for about 10-15 minutes. I usually give the dust bath after playtime, so she'll do her thing, hop out, and go to her treat ledge and wait for a treat.

Back