Dust Jar

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevnChip

I've been having a love/hate relationship with that plastic dustbath house from the pet store since I got my little fuzzball. It came with him. You know the one. It's plastic and it looks like a house. We all have one if we're not using bowls.

Well, I finally found a replacement. It's an old candy store jar. I found it on eBay and the seller immediately relisted as soon as I won. They have more! I put a question in to them on how many they have and will post back when I get an answer. My jar came in just two days and it's fabulous! It was packed in bubble wrap inside a box packed into another box that was padded all around with paper. Chipper's already had a whirl in it and treated it just as enthusiastically as he did the plastic house. It seems a bit more roomy than the house even though it's about the same width. Maybe it's because I can see in. I also like that it has a lid I can cover the opening with between uses while I have it stored outside his cage. I'll be bad and give the jar to him again tonight just to get a pic so I can show you what it looks like with a chin in it. Here's the link to the auction if any of you are interested. It's pricey, but I think it's worth it. I was the only bidder. I'm not trying to cause a bidding war or help this seller move a dead item. I really think this jar works as a chin dustbath. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120728943382&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Walmart has a large square jar similar to that. They do work great for dustbaths and you can throw them in the dishwasher and wash them easily.

They have similar ones like the one that you bought on ebay at Wal-mart for under $10.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-Cracker-Jar-with-Lid/16520333

I chose this candy jar from Wal-mart because it was easier for me to quickly place the lid on it if I had to get them back in their cage right away. I bought mine for $8

candyjar.jpg

I looked at those! I was specifically looking for one that had the opening in a more level orientation. Too picky for my own good, probably. :err:

I probably need to upgrade our dustbath. I have one of the plastic ones that came with Chichi and I also use a big glass bowl. I do need to get something else because the glass bowl lets dust fly everywhere! They do love their big glass bowl though :p

I'm back with the promised picture just for the sake of showing off a cute picture. Here's Chipper in his new bath jar. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4293a.jpg
    IMG_4293a.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 64
chipper certainly seems to love that dust jar.

I've been looking for a large glass, heavy weight fish bowl to use.

I had one and it was great but my cat pushed it off a table and broke it :( the only oher one I have like it has a "footed" bottom and it holds a ton of dust at the bottom that they can't really roll in - so we're using a plastic one that looks like a flower (got it in canada at PJ Pets). It's cute, but has seams that sort of leak dust when they really get going. also the cat cracked it... so I do need a repalcement.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-3-Piece-Cracker-Jar-Glass-Canister-Set/13443316
here's the ones I'm using.
The square bottom makes them great for standing upright or laying on their side (I stand mine upright, has cut down on the amount of dust that ends within a 20mile radius of their cages LoL)

And at my Wal-mart you were able to buy them individually for like $10 each.

Simply remove the lid, toss in some dust, and set into the cage.

I use a glass pickle jar I bought at Wal-Mart for $5....very cheap...but had to eat A LOT of pickles!!!

I use a glass pickle jar I bought at Wal-Mart for $5....very cheap...but had to eat A LOT of pickles!!!

Haha!!

OP- I like that jar you bought. It's pricey for me as well, but I really like how the bottom is rounded. I think that would make it easier for a chin to dust and more comfortable. I use that plastic house as a duster, too and I want to get a glass jar sometime soon to replace it.

OP- I like that jar you bought. It's pricey for me as well, but I really like how the bottom is rounded.

Caiti, it was the bottom that did it for me. I thought the same thing you did. And when I gave it to Chipper, he sniffed it all over inside and out after a good roll in the dust, and I loved how the rounded bottom "fit" him. He has a huge amount of room to roll however he likes. And the top is flat so he can hop up on top of it when he's done, like he did with his old bath. I need to video this. I love watching a chin dust itself.

So the update here is that the seller only had one other jar and it sold. Comb your antique and home goods stores, Ladies and Gents! There are treasures to be had that might offer your chins an alternative vessel to dust in. I can say that my experience on eBay was difficult but rewarding. Thank you to those of you that jumped in with alternatives, too. I didn't think to check my local Walmart before finding and bidding on this jar or I would have definitely done that. With your suggestions in mind I'm now finding things at my local Target as well that might have worked instead. I love the square gallon jar mentioned, and the upright candy jar was my first choice. I thought I had one and couldn't find it. That's when I started getting picky.

Despite my now locating other items that would work as a chin dustbath, I still love Chipper's new jar. Everything I'm finding is being compared to it and found lacking in some way - mostly on interior size. "roll eyes" There are a lot of great jars, bowls and containers out there that are so much better than that dusthouse thing. Like Annieo's awesome cup!

Truth be told, if it had been for me I wouldn't have spent that much. So many cheaper jars and containers that would do as good a job and all. But when I told my husband what I meant to do with it, he asked me why I didn't just hit the "Buy Now" button. Nothing but the best for our little fuzzball.

So we have a candy jar, a pickle jar, a bowl, a standard dusthouse, a large flower bowl, and a couple square gallon jars in dust use. What else is being used to bath chinchilla's? What's everyone else using?

Latest posts

Back