Dust Bath

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccchins

Hi everyone. I purchased a beautiful Beige female chin from a local MCBA breeder here in FL. I have had her for about 3 months now and not once have I seen her use her dust bath. She is pair with an amazing standard and I found a breeding plug about 2 months ago. Do pregnant chins skip bathing? Or is this just a phase or what? Oh and before anyone starts talking smack both chins have pedigrees. The male is 1yo and she is 1.5 years old. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Is the dust bath in with her all the time? Do you put it in and remove it? If so, how long is it left in for? How often do you change the dust?

I've never noticed my pregnant chins skipping dust baths. As they get larger some will get lazy and only get mostly their head dusted. Was she a great duster before getting pregnant?

What type of dust house do you have? What kind of dust? Some of my females when they are close to due won't climb into a duster. So Ihave to use like a small cookie sheet or they just look at the dust and say no. I have 1 female who doesn't like old dust and another who doesn't roll all the way over. She just does her head and thinks she is done. Was she a good duster before?

I only use blue cloud dust and I have it in a purple and clear jelly bean looking duster. I have 7 chins and after everyone takes a bath I dump out the little bit that remains. I usually dust 2-3 times per week and 15-20 mins per animal. Pairs get the bath for about 30 mins. Her mate is a bath hog so might try taking him out for a little while an leave her alone with the dust bath all by herself.

You may have to rub the dust on her to get her used to dusting again. As asked before, was she a good duster before this? If she was a good duster and has suddenly stopped there may be an underlying health issue that needs to be addressed.

I have only had her for three months. But I figured out a solution today. The male that is with her is a bath hog. I took him out and out him our carrier and put the dust bath in with her. I drew a smiley face in the dust so I would know if she took a bath. I can back 20 mins later and she was covered in dust. Yay!!!!

Latest posts

Back