Dry back feet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeoMonster

So I've noticed that Leo's feet have been getting a little drier and cracking a little. I don't think it's bumblefoot, as they don't look swollen, red, or pussing to me (I just did a thread search on bumblefoot and everything looks MUCH worse)

But I am a little worried about letting it go and having it crack and get infected. I've attached a picture just so you guys can see (I did my best at burrito wrapping in a tshirt since he was squirming and it was the only thing I had in reach)

1020261.jpg

I've heard about bag balm, but I'm not sure exactly what it is/where I could get it. Is there an alternative I could use for now if I have to get it online? I have a Petsmart & a petco within distance of my home, and I go back to school tomorrow and have a Petco/Pet Goods.

These are my results when I searched bag balm on Petsmart & Petco

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3827221&sr=1&origkw=bag balm
http://www.petco.com/shop/searchresults.aspx?Ntt=bag+balm&x=0&y=0

Advice?

If you get better information, please disregard this. I can tell you that when Ari was peeing on himself and his feet were getting really raw the vet had me put a little bit of vaseline on them. It seemed to help.

Okay thanks. I've heard a little bit about vaseline being used but every time it's been mentioned some one else has said bag balm works better.

Another thing he just thought of..he's been grinding his teeth a little lately. I know its a sign of pain, but I've also heard some chins just do it because its habit. Could this be related?

I've heard my chin do it occasionally in between his normal baby noises he still makes at almost a year old.

Hmm okay. I might put Vaseline on them just to be safe. Do I have to wrap his feet or anything? because I have aspen bedding and won't it stick to his feet?

I got my bag balm at Walgreens. Most pharmacies carry it.

Jasper chatters his teeth sometimes, his a moody little chin. He could be eating his poop too, I know mine do that!

Ohhhh okay thats fine. I'll thread search it for now to see, but if anyone else knows please let me know.

You can use bag balm or vitamin E oil. Rub a small amount into the feet. You do not need to cover it. Only use it long enough to make the dryness go away. The calluses need to stay there to protect his feet so you do not want to make them too soft.

Try putting it on before playtime, that way he runs around and is too busy to try to lick it and it seeps in well. My chin has bumblefoot which needs to be cared for and he gets his vitamin E cream before playtime when it is needed.

Okay sounds good thanks guys!

Just to clarify this doesn't look like a bumblefoot case right?

Back