Dropping fur till bald - is it fungus?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ysy

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since i posted here. I need some advice. Recently, i noticed one of my chins has been steadily losing fur at the base of her tail and both sides of her thigh. She just came back from a boarding session 2 weeks ago because i was painting my house. Initially i thought it was just fur slip because she is quite a nervous chin, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Instead, she seems to be losing more fur everyday. The skin looks normal though. I am pretty worried as i cannot get an appointment for her regular vet for the next 2 weeks. Am attaching some pictures here. Does it look like fungus? Can i afford to wait 2 weeks to see a vet? Is there anything i can do to help in the meantime?

She is eating and pooping okay although she seems a little more reserved than usual.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 36
Another picture, this is a longer shot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 31
Thanks Cuddlebug for your reply. :)

Just to update, I took her to another vet that is experienced in seeing chins and it turned out to be a kind of fungus after all. Apparently she had been fur chewing her bum and the skin was starting to flake a little by the time i got her to a vet. She was prescribed an anti-fungal ketoconazole for 3 weeks and she finished her last dose this morning. She is considerably perkier a few days after starting her medication. I have already spotted some fur growing back in the last couple of days. Keeping my fingers crossed that she's in the clear as i've read about how pesky fungus is to totally get rid of. Still actively sterilising her stuff and will probably continue to do so for a week or two more.

Back