Drop in to a slide out

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvoryBolt

So, my biggest complaint about my cage is the fact that it's a drop in. I want to make the fleece liners like a pillow case for ease, but taking the cage out every time is a lot of work (the cage is almost as tall as I am). Tips would be great!!!

Oh geez. Well, for starters, I don't think it would be an easy fix to change it to a slide in. If it were me with that cage, I would litter train them to a 10" heavy baking dish to reduce the amount of shavings wasted. I have the bottom of a Ferret Nation with a Bass pan that I gave up on with the fleece liners and just do two easy pull out baking dishes with shavings and a couple floor tiles on the bottom. I vacuum out poops and change the shavings once a week and spot clean any errant pee.

Oh no, I don't have that litter in there anymore. I use fleece liners now as well with a pan for litter. Hahaha. I just wish I could make it a slide out...would make changes much easier!! The 10" dish sounds much heavier and less tippable than what I'm using though. ..this one seems to find joy in messes xD

Do you use the clear ones, or do they come in other colors? Right now, I've just got a large, reusable pie tin, heh. He's small enough that he fits, but we all know how fast they grow.

No, you need to use one of the heavy ceramic ones. Like the kind you would bake a pie in. I find that square or rectangular are more stable than circular. Make sure it is deep, helps keep the shavings in, though I only fill it half way.

Back