Drooling questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvoryBolt

So, when we first picked this boy up for rescue, he was very drooly and wet due to enlongated teeth. We trimmed them down and he stopped drooling, but he started drooling again, and he has a slightly weepy eye (though his temp foster mom said she thinks he poked an eye with hay...it's clear discharge and isn't very noticeable...). His teeth look okay to me, he's eating both his pellets and his hay, as well as some rose hips and oats. He's active and bouncing around (which is more than I can say for when we picked him up!!)...so do his teeth need to be trimmed again? (we ruled out Malo at his vet visit....he's got good teeth, thank god)

Vet couldn't find anything wrong with his teeth...no spurs or malo...his teeth we long and that's about it. So they were trimmed, he stopped drooling for a bit, and now he's drooling again. Another vet suggested stress from moving and that...is that a possibility?

I'm willing to bet there is root elongation going on from the drooling and weepy eye symptoms. There's no way to know just by looking in the mouth. As stated, he needs x-rays of his teeth to know.

Fair enough. And no, I don't think xrays were taken. I'll ask the friend who took him in to make sure (she works at the vet clinic and is a vet tech...I don't think xrays were taken because clipping helped the drooling.) I'll take him in just to make sure.

When you state the chin was trimmed and clipped-are you just talking about the incisors or were the long teeth the molars? Both if elongated can be sensitive after trimming, especially if trimmed alot. And if the chin was not put under for a complete dental exam with periodontal probing, that needs to happen also.

I would also suggest when you get the x-rays done get a copy and download to this forum. There are many vets who don't know how to properly read teeth x-rays. Dawn is an expert at that.

Just the inscisors, the bottoms, to be precise. Once I get the xrays, I'll upload them. Hopefully it's just tooth elongation and not root.

Another question (sorry, i'm full of them....learning is my favorite past time)...if it happens to be root elongation...then what? Everything I've read seems to say it's virtually untreatable and you just make sure their teetg are aligned...does that mean he'll be a 'chronic drooler' or will it stop when his teeth are trimmed? Will he be in pain all the time?

It all depends on how the roots look. If they are not long enough to invade the sinuses or eye socket or protruding from the lower jaw, then regular trimming can help a lot and may slow the process down. He may stop drooling between trims.

Elongation without malocclusion in my experience is silent until advanced, malocclusion on its own produce the symptoms of wet eyes and drool due to the soft tissue damage by the teeth.

Here are some x-rays of my animals and what was found

One of my skulls of advanced elongation without malocclusion.

Hmm. That makes me think it's not root elongation...there's no lumps on his jaw lines at all. Still taking him in, obviously...but this gives me hope that it's not root elongation.

There doesn't have to be lumps on the jaw for there to be elongation. That is just very advanced elongation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Root enlogation can be just top teeth as well. It doesn't have to affect all the teeth. Just one or 2 sometimes. I would make sure xrays are done just as a rule out.

The point being, the chin has symptoms and unless the elongation is advanced, elongation on its own usually does not cause symptoms unless there is malo also.

The point being, the chin has symptoms and unless the elongation is advanced, elongation on its own usually does not cause symptoms unless there is malo also.

ah...well that's stinky. I'm going to hope and pray it's not, then. xP Being a poor petsmart baby, though...well...it very well could be.

(He was bought from petsmart, then returned in AWFUL condition, where they adopted him out to a friend who runs an exotics rescue in her home. She nursed him back to a decent weight, trimmed his teeth and got him his vet exams, then gave to me to continue care)

And aside from anything else, I feel for you having to deal with undiagnosed teeth issues, it sucks for you and the chin and all involved.

And aside from anything else, I feel for you having to deal with undiagnosed teeth issues, it sucks for you and the chin and all involved.

For real xD I just want him to feel all better. He eats and plays, so I know he's..okkay..but he's starting to refuse his hay. le sigh.

Back