Drooling but no malo (X-Ray Included)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rach06ao

Chinnie Lover
Hi Everyone

One of my female chinchillas has been constantly drooling for just over a week now and has had two vet visits.

On the first visit she was given Loxicom and I was advised she may have a mouth ulcer but to bring her back in a week for a full dental visit if no improvement.

I booked her back after a few days and she had an X-ray done and so the vet could had a full look in her mouth.

I was extremely surprised to hear the vet saying it isn't a tooth problem and she probably has a virus and to keep hand feeding her and giving her pain relief.

Does anyone know what virus's chinchillas can get? She isn't sneezing or breathing wheezy and I have 3 other chinchillas so are they in any danger and/or shouldn't they have one too?

I feel pretty lost at the moment since she isn't eating on her own but still passing droppings (obviously from the science supreme recovery food).
I've also lost other chinchillas in the past from malo so I feel paranoid the vet may have missed something.

I have attached a copy of her X-ray for anyone who's interested.

Sorry for the long post!

Thank you

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 20.34.59.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 20.34.59.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 32
I have to agree with the vet, the teeth themselves look good IMO, the image is small so I can't see much as far as soft tissue goes meaning infection. Drooling can be also be caused by nausea, does she eat the science supreme well? Are you fighting to feed her or does she act hungry?

Thank you for the reply.
She eats the recovery food through hand feeding but not her solid food.
She's still drooling too :(

But when she eats, are you forcing her or does she seem like she is hungry? Another issue that won't show up on x-rays is cracked teeth, you will get drool and hand feeding for a few weeks until the tooth grows out or the tooth breaks off.

Oh right sorry, she seems to not take it at all until i force feed her in her mouth, then after a while she manages to eat some mush off a spoon.
She's constantly digging in her food bowl so I guess she's quite hungry :( she accepts an opened up raisin but it takes her a while to eat it

Sometimes with this type of issue that is not apparent you just have to hand feed until either the chins starts eating on their own or the issue gets worse, I hate to tell you. They can't tell us whats wrong so you just feed until further notice.

Back