Drinking but not eating hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niknoo76

Help! My chinchilla is eating his pellets and I've stopped all treats but he won't eat his hay. He is pooping fine but I've heard him grind his teeth a few times. We
Were at the vet on March 22nd for a first check up but they didn't say anything about his teeth. Should I be going back? X

I moved from Timothy to meadow hay cookies and he was interested for a day then that got thrown aside. I realised I was giving him to many treats and I'm not sure if he is trying to wait me out x

Not an expert here, but just thinking if they are drinking and eating the pellets you should be good. My chinchilla has gone through bouts where she ignores hay but always comes back to it. I know hay is a staple for chinchillas but if they are eating the pellets that is a lot of their nutritional need right there.

Ummm, if he's grinding his teeth and not eating his hay, then yes, I would be worried.
Pellets alone wont give him enough fibre.

I'd be concerned about his teeth. I'd ask for x-rays and a full dental check up if the grinding and avoiding hay persists.

Chins do grind their teeth on occasion. Take him to the vet if you feel so inclined, but I'd definitely change the hay and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back