Dragonwood- safe or not?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chinniechantel

I cannot for the life of me, find dragonwood on any safe or unsafe wood list. Can anyone help me out?

Old saying - "If in doubt, throw it out!"
I've never even heard of dragonwood - [I guess neither have dragons - they're extinct!] haha

Yeah, if you don't know. Just assume it's a no. But hey, maybe someone here will be positive of either or. Good luck!

I've always heard though that if wood is ok for a parrot that it's ok for a chin. They make a ton of dragonwood perches for birds, hence the question.

I remember reading that someone was having a company make them for their chinchillas. I'll see if I can find it.

I remember reading that someone was having a company make them for their chinchillas. I'll see if I can find it.

That doesn't mean it is safe, though. They sell death balls and crap at petstores specifically for chins, so that won't make me feel better! Hedgemom?

I can't find it, it was a breeder working with the company I think. I agree though, that isn't enough for me to use them.

I have never heard of dragonwood before.. it would be nice to know if we can use it for chins esp. if it is being called bird safe.

Ok, here's my take on it. I haven't weighed in because I can find nothing about species or genus or anything regarding "dragonwood".

It appears to be a marketing term for an unnamed species imported from various Pacific Rim countries. Checking out a luthier website, they call it dragonwood, tigerwood and pologna, none of which translate to anything I can use to determine safety.

I'm a little surprised that parrot people would just embrace a wood without knowing exactly what it is, but that does seem to be the case.

Now, the fact that's it's imported bothers me. Most imported wood is gassed at the arrival site to kill off insects/molds etc. Without knowing the source of this wood, I'd be very hesitant to use it.

I just want to say anything with the word Dragon in it doesn't really sound too safe! I would always, always, always trust Nancy on anything--but I'm sure you would too Chantel.

I trust HM! I am surprised as she is that the bird community uses it so often, without knowing what it is. Oh well.

Back