Double Chins or One?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailor_Orbit

Moon Cosmic Power Make up
Hey guys,
I was wondering would it be better for my chin, Kimchi, to have a female companion? I asked the breeder and she said it would be better. But what do you guys think? She still doesn't know how to use the wheel. During the weekdays I pretty much only have 30 min max to let her out of the cage. And I have to play with her while my parents are awake since I use their bathroom. I just like how you can close off the toilet with a door and has a chair in there, its quite spacious and clutter free. So I basically use the bathroom (vanity room?) to play with her,half an hour max at a time. Basically I take her back when she gets into the dust bath by herself and staying there a bit. I only put a tiny bit of dust since its really her transportation house, so it's okay if it gets soiled, and have another house for her actual dust bath. Anyway, I was wondering would it be better for her to have a companion? In petsmart there was another chinchilla but I didn't really see them playing with one another for the few minutes I was there. But I figure if I am going to have a second one, its better while she's still young. The other chinchilla would be younger than her, for the one I am thinking of getting. Anyway, which do you think is better for the chins? I would say my chin is friendly and the other chin is also considered friendly according to the breeder.

I always like to keep my chins in pairs if possible but there are some chins who just do not like company. Do I think all chins need a friend? No. My single chins are perfectly happy alone. Introductions can be very tricky and you have to keep in mind that they may never get along. If you are able to get them together, you always run the risk of them randomly deciding one day they do not like one another and get in a fight. However when they do get along it can be very rewarding.

I had dreams of a nice happy herd, but ended up with 3 female chins who all HATED each other! My girls were all much happier on their own.

Each chin is different I guess. Some like company, some prefer solitude. So long as your chin gets plenty of attention from you, I'm sure she'll be fine.

If you do get another chin though, be prepared for the fact that they might not always get along, and may need to be separated at some point. You'll need a back up cage for this, just in case.

Back