Don't you hate-

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milo10

When your trying to help someone with their chins. Then when your done they tell you that everything that you said to them is wrong because They've done 2 months of research from who knows how many different sites that have contradicting info on them? :banghead:

I know I was like that when I first joined, But I have learned a lot since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's tough because basically you and the person you're arguing with are coming from the same place.

A lot of the info we tout is anecdotal from breeders. And much of the information they are touting is anecdotal from breeders. Just different ones with different reputations.

That's why forums are helpful. Instead of multiple web sites stating the same facts because they read them on eachother's sites, we have people who can post and say "Look--this is what happened to my chin and this is why. Here are the x-rays/pictures/vet bills etc." and we can infer the info from there. But a lot is choosing which people with experience to trust and observing their advice because it's the closest thing to the absolute truth you're going to get to.

It's confusing even for intelligent, well-meaning people. And because people don't like to be proven wrong, everyone who is advertising questionable information, just advertises it more fervently in the face of opposition. That conviction is kind of contagious sometimes. So they defend themselves, thinking if there are others that believe so strongly this information is correct (even though they don't have proof of that), it must be. I've done it too; posted little things I have no proof but was told so convincingly of that I assumed it likely was true and it ended up being flawed information.

If only people who had correct information were the only ones to spout it out from the rooftops, we'd be just fine. Luckily, some of us can admit to being wrong about things and try to learn and be better. Others become fixated on being right and I haven't found a good way to snap them out of it so far.

Whoa...that turned into a novel, huh?

I don't really have this problem because I only know one other person IRL with chins!! He does do some wrong things (feeding them dried apples), but I only see him once a week at work so I don't get much time to correct him. LOL!

:hair:This person got the 2 chins from Even Keel Exotics. The 6 month old female if pregnant! I tried giving her advice on what to get for them. She use Super Pet Products. But she just blew it off. Hmmmm

As the old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

All newbies are like that...If I recall correctly you were too..I do understand your frustration but there really is no point getting worked up people will do what they will do

It's tough because basically you and the person you're arguing with are coming from the same place.

A lot of the info we tout is anecdotal from breeders. And much of the information they are touting is anecdotal from breeders. Just different ones with different reputations.

That's why forums are helpful. Instead of multiple web sites stating the same facts because they read them on eachother's sites, we have people who can post and say "Look--this is what happened to my chin and this is why. Here are the x-rays/pictures/vet bills etc." and we can infer the info from there. But a lot is choosing which people with experience to trust and observing their advice because it's the closest thing to the absolute truth you're going to get to.

It's confusing even for intelligent, well-meaning people. And because people don't like to be proven wrong, everyone who is advertising questionable information, just advertises it more fervently in the face of opposition. That conviction is kind of contagious sometimes. So they defend themselves, thinking if there are others that believe so strongly this information is correct (even though they don't have proof of that), it must be. I've done it too; posted little things I have no proof but was told so convincingly of that I assumed it likely was true and it ended up being flawed information.

If only people who had correct information were the only ones to spout it out from the rooftops, we'd be just fine. Luckily, some of us can admit to being wrong about things and try to learn and be better. Others become fixated on being right and I haven't found a good way to snap them out of it so far.

Whoa...that turned into a novel, huh?

Very very well said.

Back