Dog whistles?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the dog whistle, if you can hear it then definitely yes the chin can too. Chinchillas hearing range is very similar to humans, humans can hear up to about 20 kHz, chins up to about 20-30 kHz, so it depends on the whistle and the frequency it uses. Most dog whistles range from 20s to 50s kHz.

Thank you for that info. I was thinking of looking into a dog whistle that a dog could hear, but not my chins.

I am a little confused however. I asked a number of sellers what there khz range was. Only one so far has given me an answer.
After extensive product testing this morning, I'm happy to conclude that our dog whistle emits sound waves at around 6678hz :eek:) We figured this out by matching the sound with that of an iPhone App dedicated to Dog Whistles.

1 hertz = 0.001 kilohertz And the converter shows 6678hz to equal 6.678khz.

And that seems kinda far off. So im clearly missing something or messed up the abbreviations or something'

I think that either the app they used is faulty of they forgot a digit, because yes that would only be 6.678khz which is well within our hearing as well as a chin's. I think that would be around what a normal whistle would be, the idea of a dog whistle is to be above our hearing. I'm not sure what mine is but I can hear it perfectly well, but it was this cheap one from petsmart that claims to be silent but definitely is not. I use it outside though so it's not an issue for my chins.

Im specifically looking for one to use inside. Thats one more reason i want to make sure the chins cant hear it. If anyone has any suggestions?

Back