Dog kennel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNChinLover

Ok, I am not going to use one, I have a double ferret nation with all the bells and whistles, but I had a strange idea and now I am curious as to what you guys think!

I know there are plenty of people who can't afford FN or CN cages, and I was thinking that there are those large dog crates made out of metal wire right? I believe these would be half the cost or less of the FN.

So if you could find one with 1 inch bar spacing or less and then add wooden ledges, hammocks, etc. maybe a custom base pan? Or tiling the bottom or putting fleece on the bottom.. Would this be an acceptable cage? Quite similar to the FN except if you have it on the floor you have to crawl in to clean lol!

Another thing I thought of, is that maybe the paint or whatever is on the wire to make it black is not safe.. But I've seen just regular metal wire ones.

Thanks!

They are rarely less than one inch bar spacing, and the flooring is usually the same wide spacing. I bought the smallest metal travel crate that they sell, and the spacing is just over 1 inch. My two fatty boys can't fit out, but I got quite a surprise when there was a derpy little Dale under my feet while I was driving down the highway!
There are some that are made for cats with a bit smaller spacing, those might work. Really any cage that has smaller bar spacing can be outfitted to work for a chin.

midwest cat playpen

I use a Midwest Cat Playpen. I bought my first one four years ago and I've never had any problems. Now I own three. They are 36x24x50 and cost less than $100 on various sites via Google shopping. My fiance owned a fn142 for his chin, and I actually prefer my cat playpens.

Latest posts

Back