Dog brought me a bunny

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittney

So my dog brought me a present today. I tiny rabbit kit. Poor thing is lifeless, but still alive. I plan on taking him into work seeing as though he has no teeth :( obviously still with his mom and his eyes are barely open. I don't know what to do for him. I have him in a box keeping him warm, and he's in a dark quiet room. I got him to drink some water, but that's it. I'm so worried about him. Anyone know ANYTHING about rabbits? Because I'm at a loss.

You can use the same formula for rabbits as you can for chins. Check the breeding and babies FAQ.

Wild rabbits rarely survive in situations like this, but it can happen. Keep him warm, try feeding the formula mix, and hope he makes it until the morning.

Just google feeding wild baby bunnies and info will come up. YOu don't feed bunnies as much as chins. I believe it is every 8 hours. Does it have fur?

I actually fostered 4 baby bunnies who lost their mother. Of the 4 only 1 died. I was able to release them at our nature center here. It was very fulfilling for me!

Take it back to the nest ASAP! The old wives' tale about the mother rejecting the whole litter, etc. isn't true. The best chance it has is with the rest of it's family, esp. since mother rabbits only nurse once a day. Then, keep the dog away from it. (If you can't find the nest, then of course, try to feed it and find a wildlife rehabber to take it in. In my area at least it's illegal to keep them w/out a permit.)

It's pitch black outside, I let my dog out for a little bit to stretch her legs and she brought it back, don't even know where she got it from. I don't want to go tripping around looking for a nest at night and get bit by a rattlesnake. I'm keeping him warm until morning and made some formula. He took a tiny amount but still took some. I'm waking up super early to look for a nest, if that fails, I will take him into work (a vet clinic) and have them walk me through what to do.

I've tried so many times to save the baby bunnies that the cats chase up to the house. I find them shivering and hiding under things. The problem is that they get so stressed and they just die without any injuries. I hope that you can save him. The vet will know what to do or at least know of some wildlife rehab people that can help.

I'm sorry that your dog brought the little thing to you. That's just what dogs do, and, as much as I hate it, rabbits are food for everything out in the desert. Except for the giant jackrabbits, I'm not sure if anything messes with those things... :)

We have a local rescue that takes any wild animal. My dog had brought me a tiny baby rabbit years ago and I kept it warm and safe until the rescue group came out to get him. They also told me that baby bunnies rarely survive away from mama, but I sure hope he made it!

Latest posts

Back