does my chin have an eye infection?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongTimeLover

Hello all.

I've noticed recently a change in my chin's eye. I tried to take some pictures of his eye up close and then what his "affected" eye looks like compared to his other eye. On his right eye, the fur looks matted down like it's wet almost. I haven't noticed a discharge but today when I went to pet him and pick him up he made a noise I haven't heard before. It was like a squeak combined with some clicking. He also seems more sluggish than normal. This is just within 24 hrs. Yesterday he was fine and today's the first day I've noticed a change in his behavior (although his eye has been like this for a few days). We're going to take him out tonight and see how he acts and figure if by tomorrow he hasn't improved we'll call a vet on Wed.

I've never had an health issues with him and we've had him almost a year (so he's almost 2.5 years) so this is all new to me.

Do you guys think it's something I should be seriously concerned about/requires a vet visit?

Any advice is welcome! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20110103_191054.jpg
    IMG_20110103_191054.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20110103_191127.jpg
    IMG_20110103_191127.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 47
the minute you notice a chinchilla getting lethargic or sluggish it is time for a visit to the vet

If he is breathing normally and isn't lethargic, it may just be an eye infection. There is definitely something going on there, he needs to go to the vet to figure out what. Usual protocol is getting a scratch test done on the eye to see if there is a scratch on the cornea or if it is just an infection cropping up. The vet can prescribe drops or gel to treat the infection- drops are easier.

He could have an upper respiratory infection with a secondary eye issue. A vet visit may be in order for them to listen to his lungs a little better, take a look at his eye and get him started on antibiotics and/or eye drops if needed. If you catch it quick enough, it can be fairly easy to treat.

The longer you wait to treat a eye infection the more difficult and lengthy it is to treat.

I'm glad you're taking him to the vet, but recently something like this happened with one of my chins. I was asked if there is circulation in the room she is kept, and during the winter, no there is not as she is in my room. She is also on the 3rd level of a 3 story cage. It was recommended to me to get a fan blowing in the room to circulate the air as in the winter the windows are not ever open. Once I started doing that and even though the fan is low and she is high, it has cleared up and has not returned for several weeks.

If the vet does not find anything wrong, perhaps that is something you could try.

We took Lewis to the vet today and he got a clean bill of health. Doctor said his teeth looked great and heart and lungs sounded well also. I mentioned the lethargy and noises but he couldn't see a probable cause as to why that's happening so he said we could run more tests (aka $$$) or he could give me antibiotic drops (Baytril) and that would clear up anything bacterial. So that's what we concluded. If after the weekend, he's not back to himself then I'll probably give the vet another call but I feel a lot better knowing that he's healthy :)

Did you already give the Baytril? I would not give it if the vet could not find anything wrong, as it can make chins lose their appetite. Force-feeding a chin does not sound fun to me!

The vet techs gave him one dose at the office to show me how to do it.

I might hold off and see if he improves on his own before giving the second dose.

Back