Does he want to come out?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoromirAlex

Casey
My chinchilla plays in his little fenced area for 1 hour, 3-4 times per day. Sometimes when I put him back in his cage, he smushes himself against the top corner of his cage. He's in the picture I have attached. I'm trying to figure out what this behavior means! Most of the time, I give him some scratches or a wood stick and he goes on about his business with playing in his cage or sleeping. Why does he do this?

559453_10150919540378453_702963452_11806852_531639178_n.jpg

Wow! 3-4 playtimes a day! That is really dedication. Most people give an hour or less. You could let him out 24 hours a day and he would still want more! But to the question- He has trained you well. He climbs to the top of the cage, you give treats or scritches. That is really all it is. A conditioned action to get the response.

Mine does that too..I think it is for one last little bit of attention before she takes a nap, or settles in for a rest. I often will do like you and give Trixie a skritch, or a couple of sticks.
Of course, when we are out for her run, I talk to her and it is as if she understands...as I ususlly tell her that when we are back "home" I am going to refill her water bottle and food bowl, or give her more hay, or change her fleece..I swear she is waiting for me to do what I said.

My chin is out for about six hours a day and she still sits in her spot and gives me those eyes whn she has to go back in for the night. Yes, he wants out, he has you trained well! LOL

Hes a cutie!

yep, you're a trained chinchilla slave. lol.

one thing to mention though, is if your chin is laying right up tight against the metal on the cage - he may be too warm after playtime, and attempting to cool off on the cage corners where the metal is thicker.

Hmm yeah I also thought he might be hot. I just got an AC unit for my room window yesterday though, so it's much cooler in here now!

Nah, Sherry, he's on a chiller, so I'm sure that's not too much of an issue. They just like to get in the highest spot in the cage, whereever that may be.

Fatal Mistake: never let your chin have a perch higher than your head, or they think they are the boss of you.
;)

Fatal Mistake: never let your chin have a perch higher than your head, or they think they are the boss of you.
;)

Amp has the solution to this. Shes gotten into the habit of popping up to our shoulders, then perching on our heads. But that's appropriate, since she is definitely the boss of us (and also an adorable hat) >.>

Nah, Sherry, he's on a chiller, so I'm sure that's not too much of an issue.

i guess i should have phrased that a lil different to say that if anybody's chin is laying tight against the bars, they could possibly be too hot. wasn't it one of godofgod's chins that was doing that because they were too warm?

^ Same!

Vincenza does press herself into the bars if she gets a bit warm after being on the wheel. Even though the house is at 65 and we have a dehumidifier next to the cages.

Back