does anyone have any advice...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondeangel

on how to safely and securely hold an 11 week old squirmy chin? my little baby i think either scratched his toe or caught his nail on the fleece liner last night and it bled a little but i couldn't figure out how to hold him still enough to truly examine his toe. I tried the burrito method I read about on here and he just kept squirming out of it. any advice for future issues that may come up? thank you! :)

One time my boy hurt himself in my bathroom, I gave him an apple stick and he chewed contendedly on it while I looked at his toe. It healed up nicely, I only had to swab it with water.

Usually I'll take my guy by the base of the tail right against his bottom (right hand), scoop him onto my left hand, and mush him back first against my chest (between The Girls). Switch the tail grip from the right hand to between a couple of fingers on restraining (left) hand, and you've got your (theoretically dominant) hand free to stretch his foot out etc. Doing this in front of a mirror can help you get a better look at his foot, or have someone else hold him that way while you face him, which is what Boy Thing and I do when Crash needs a hairring check. Boy Thing holds, I "get" to do the other part. :lol:

i did clean up as much as I could and then softly pinched a dab of all purpose flour (at home remedy of "quikstop") on it and all he wanted to do was run and play. so he wasn't too bothered by his toe. i didnt want to hurt/stress/overheat him so after I did the flour I let him go run with his cagemate.

Honestly with toe injuries here I just keep an eye on them. They usually heal without any interefernce,

Back