Do you feel safe in America?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Artist: Lee Greenwood
Song: Proud To Be An American

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I’d worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.

I’d thank my lucky stars,
to be livin here today.
‘ Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

From the lakes of Minnesota,
to the hills of Tennessee.
Across the plains of Texas,
From sea to shining sea.

From Detroit down to Houston,
and New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart,
and its time we stand and say.

That I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,

GOD BLESS THE USA

Last edited:
Does America have problems? Yes, but most countries do. Unfortunately America is subject to a lot of stereotyping and it makes me sad that people are so closed-minded. We may seem divided, but we're not in reality. We're the melting pot, yes there is a lot of different things, but we're all still in the pot! The other issue is that America is pretty big so there are a lot of regional differences, where I live the "unsafe" neighborhood is ten minutes away from the "safe" neighborhood. Overall, I feel safe in America. I think that the fact that I can say America is flawed and not have my door broken down to be arrested is one of the reasons I do feel safe.

I'll agree with what others have said about the fact that we do have a lot more rights than those people of different countries, but I'd pin us as a slightly close minded country. There are plenty of things that are illegal or "frowned upon" here that are socially acceptable and/or legal in countries abroad. We have one of the highest incarceration rates in the world.

I'm aware that there are regional differences, religious differences, racial differences, etc. but I've met people from across the country that have the same mindset as me, and I've met people in my hometown that I completely disagree with on everything. That's the way it's going to be. Yes we can generalize it and say that southerners are different from northerners and east coast from west, and call it stereotyping but those "types" form from some parts that are true. This is not to say that I agree with them, I just understand where they come from.

I don't feel like to be a "good" american you need to show pride for your country and all that jazz. Strong enough nationalism could get us into trouble one day.

I don't feel safe in America (granted I haven't been to most of it--just bits of 2 countries) but I don't feel safe anywhere, like Susan said. It wouldn't matter where I lived. There are many things I take for granted and there are many problems that aren't addressed as much as I'd like them to be in the US.

I love traveling, even within the state I live--anywhere different that offers a new perspective is really a part of life you shouldn't miss. Go to Europe, South America, Canada, or the new movie theater downtown, that field you always see deer in when you drive home from work, or a nearby park. I think traveling can make everyone's life better, but be aware of the risks to your safety when you're traveling and have a plan if something happens.

I have always felt safe in America and I have lived in 4 different states, all in suburban areas. The reason why I am interested in possibly moving elsewhere is because I feel changes need to made in the US, and with two very stubborn opposing sides, it seems that no one will let the other budge to make the changes happen. Meanwhile, there are countries that already have the changes I desire in place... so why not move there?

I don't feel like to be a "good" american you need to show pride for your country and all that jazz. Strong enough nationalism could get us into trouble one day.

I also agree with this.

On a side note, I want to stress that I do not take being born in the US for granted. I feel very blessed to lead a safe and comfortable life filled with opportunity, but I would be just as blessed if I had been born in Sweden, Australia, Canada, etc.

Susan, I am amazed at your post. Just on this forum alone there are many random acts of kindness, from making hedgie bags for a bald hedgehog, to people setting up railroads to get chins from an unsafe environment into a safe one. Maybe the reason you don't feel that you can count on your fellow Americans to watch your back is because there are so few left where you live. Illegal immigrants don't count in my book.

Do I think our government has issues? Yes I definitely do. I can proudly say I did not elect the man who runs it, but at least people here were allowed to vote. I can be grateful for that even if I don't always like the people in power.

Do I feel unsafe in the entire country of America? No, but I do feel insulted that you asked. I think prices are absolutely asinine in Canada and you couldn't pay me enough to move there, but I would not have been so rude as to make that statement in open forum had you not opened up this topic.

You and Mrs. Obama, who made the statement "I'm finally proud to be an American." I have always been proud to be an American, and I will continue to be so. The feelings of the great big world out there aren't going to change how I feel about me and my country. They don't know me or most of the people who live here. They know what the press throws out there for public consumption, which 95% of the time is complete horse manure. I think a feeling that there is something wrong with the land can be attributed to a somewhat overactive imagination. I step out my door every day, onto my land, and it feels just fine.

Do I think our government has issues? Yes I definitely do. I can proudly say I did not elect the man who runs it, but at least people here were allowed to vote. I can be grateful for that even if I don't always like the people in power.

I can understand where you're coming from. We have a lot of liberties others don't. There are other people who suffer so much we might not even be able to imagine it. I don't think that makes it offensive to want to improve the society you live with.

I did not vote for the current president either, but neither did anyone living in Puerto Rico; they aren't allowed to, even though Obama is their president. That's a system that the US government allows--people have no vote in who is their head of state. I'm not saying that makes the US horrible, I'm just saying that there are pros and cons to every thing. Nothing is black and white. I can't feel either entirely safe or live in fear all the time, it's always a bit of both in a way. Life is unsafe, I could get hit by a meteor, impaled by a flying bedpost etc...that is why I don't feel completely safe but I try to live my life reasonably in light of that.

Do I feel unsafe in the entire country of America? No, but I do feel insulted that you asked. I think prices are absolutely asinine in Canada and you couldn't pay me enough to move there, but I would not have been so rude as to make that statement in open forum had you not opened up this topic.

Personally I wasn't as insulted. I always wonder how "foreign" people feel about the countries they live in, and IMO it was a fair question. I find it interesting to see people's answers to the question, and I like the little interjects of people from other countries who have visited here say what they thought of America. Personally I would also like to see people who haven't visited say how we are perceived in their country, but that's just because of my curiosity, although I have an idea on what they would be like.

On a side note, I want to stress that I do not take being born in the US for granted. I feel very blessed to lead a safe and comfortable life filled with opportunity, but I would be just as blessed if I had been born in Sweden, Australia, Canada, etc.

I just want to make it clear despite all my negativity that I am also not taking it for granted. I know how lucky I am to be here and not somewhere else; I'm just worried about the direction we're moving towards in the future. And when I am older and have the means to live on my own and choose where I would like to live, then I can figure it out from there if I want to stay here or not. But I feel like even if I moved to another country I will always consider myself an American even to the point where I say I'm a New Yorker lolzzz

I can understand where you're coming from. We have a lot of liberties others don't. There are other people who suffer so much we might not even be able to imagine it. I don't think that makes it offensive to want to improve the society you live with.

I did not vote for the current president either, but neither did anyone living in Puerto Rico; they aren't allowed to, even though Obama is their president. That's a system that the US government allows--people have no vote in who is their head of state. I'm not saying that makes the US horrible, I'm just saying that there are pros and cons to every thing. Nothing is black and white. I can't feel either entirely safe or live in fear all the time, it's always a bit of both in a way. Life is unsafe, I could get hit by a meteor, impaled by a flying bedpost etc...that is why I don't feel completely safe but I try to live my life reasonably in light of that.

Puerto Rico has consistently refused overtures by the federal government to become a state because of all the new taxes, regulations, etc that come with statehood. To enjoy all the rights and privileges, you must become a part of the whole.
I had a long discussion today with one of my law school friends who basically said that because we have police and armed forces, Americans should feel safe from crime and have no need to 1) own guns, and 2) worry about other countries. I worry more about the rights that our own government takes away "to make us safer" than any attack by a foreign nation.
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." - Gerald Ford

I think my question was fair. I simply asked if people were comfortable living in America, seeing as there has been a lot of turmoil since 9/11. Things have tightened up, more and more freedoms are being put in the trash for the sake of our "safety". Are all of these measures really nessesary? They have caught more innocent people than guilty. And it is true. America has the highest incarceration percentages in the world, at 700 jailed per 100 000 people. Thats almost 1 in 100. Some of those people were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some of them just wanted to smoke a joint - were they disrupting the peace and safety of those around them? no. your tax dollars go to upkeeping the jails. what a waste.

To be honest, I am insulted when people say "God Bless America"...and I'm a Christian...funny. The american people have been kicking God out of their homes, their schools, their cities and governments, and then when a disaster hits like Katrina, they get frustrated with God because "He allowed such a terrible thing to happen".

Its kind of ironically funny. But I guess you didn't understand the point I was making.

Seeing as how folks were civil on the "Where have our freedoms gone?" thread, I thought it would be safe to post this. but since I'm the forgeiner, my opinion doesn't matter. So much for free speech....

It has absolutely nothing to do with you being a foreigner. How is my saying I feel insulted any different from you saying you find something insulting? Don't I have "free speech", too? And technically this is a private forum, so free speech doesn't even apply here.

I personally feel like you are being prejudiced against an entire country and it's people who are people just like the people you live next to and see every day.

And I understood the point you were trying to make perfectly. I just disagreed with it.

If someone were to say "I feel insulted when people say God bless Canada" you wouldn't find that insulting?

I find it funny you come on a mostly American forum, bash America, and expect everyone to agree with you and not get mad or upset about it.

As a US Service Member who has many friends overseas defending this country, and whose turn is coming up very soon, it makes me sad that people feel unsafe here. We've lost a lot of wonderful people for the safety and freedom of this country. I will continue to proudly serve for those freedoms and rights we all enjoy, even it they are to show distaste for this wonderful land.

Wondering if anyone feels the same way as I do.

Call it intuition, but I've passed over the US/CAN border a few times, and every time I go into America, I get this really bad feeling, and I'm tense. It feels like there is something wrong with the land. My husband feels the same way. The difference is, he's lived in America his whole life.
If that's the way you feel, then I'd stay in Canada.

I've only traveled outside the U.S. once and that was to Mexico. It was Tijuana and I did not feel safe there.
Tijuana is not a safe place to go anymore. It's gotten bad over the last 15 years, but extremely risky in the last 5 years.

I think my question was fair. I simply asked if people were comfortable living in America, seeing as there has been a lot of turmoil since 9/11. Things have tightened up, more and more freedoms are being put in the trash for the sake of our "safety". Are all of these measures really nessesary? . . . .

To be honest, I am insulted when people say "God Bless America"...and I'm a Christian...funny. The american people have been kicking God out of their homes, their schools, their cities and governments, and then when a disaster hits like Katrina, they get frustrated with God because "He allowed such a terrible thing to happen".
Personally, I think your post was insulting. And this is from a non-American that lives in the US and doesn't get all rah rah the US is the greatest country in the world. This is the second time in the same day that you have gone out of your way to question the United States and seem to be a self appointed authority on what all Americans think and feel. It seems that the three year old thread that you posted to and resurrected didn't go the way you wanted, so you started a new one just to stir up some unneeded controversy. I'm sure there are many negative things that members of the forum can come up with to bash you back about Canada, but we don't because we have valued Canadian members and bashing your country also bashes theirs.

Do I feel safe? Absolutely. I am a single woman that lives alone and I am not afraid to go out alone at night. Are all areas of this city like this? No. But that is why I live where I do and not in the less safe areas. Am I likely to move back to the UK? Doubtful.

As a US Service Member who has many friends overseas defending this country, and whose turn is coming up very soon, it makes me sad that people feel unsafe here. We've lost a lot of wonderful people for the safety and freedom of this country. I will continue to proudly serve for those freedoms and rights we all enjoy, even it they are to show distaste for this wonderful land.

my husband feels the same way.

Oh I was wondering if people took me less seriously as a forgiener because of the "Where did our freedoms go?" thread. The woman who started that thread wasn't jumped on, and she was a local. And she and I are wondering the same thing. But I get jumped on....? Maybe I didn't word things nicley enough?

No I'm not meaning to be prejudice against an entire country, I know good people who live all over America that I really respect.

And yeah, I would feel a little insulted if people said "God Bless Canada". #1 because its a bit egocentric. Why not just ask to bless the whole world? #2. because Canada is just a title. It will fade some day, like anything else. #3 Not everyone in Canada believes in God, and they too are taking God out of everyday life. So its kind of a moot point.

It probably is the way you worded things. I didn't read the other thread, but I did read this one and have made opinions based on only what you have said not on where you are from. And it seems like you are very prejudiced against America and Americans, and I have found a few things you have said to be quite insulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back