Do you chins hate to be touched at certain spots?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meiying

Chester & Jeffy
I understand most of the chins do not like to be handled or picked up, I let them be most of the time unless I have to check for hair ring or their fur condition.

My first chin (Chester, 18 months old)does not want to have anything to do with us unless there is treats in our hands. He always runs away when we try to pet him which is fine because we probably did not bond with him correctly when we first got him. We might have over handled him, we just did not know enough when we got him. And it is also his personality too, he is a very gentle chinchilla, very smart, he just doesnt like to be handle. If we do have to pick him up, he will try to run away but he wont get upset.

The adopted fur chewer (Jeffy 4 years old)has been living with us for about 6 months, he loves attention, loves to be pet on the head, loves playing and cudling with Chester, but HATES being touched below the head where his fur got chewed off. When he first got here, he chewed his fur so bad that I could see some of his skin (I have posted some of his pics on the other thread before), i thought it was because he felt uncomfortable because of the missing fur, now even his fur has been growing back like weeds the last few weeks, and has been very happy living with Chester, he still hates being touch in the body. Sometimes we try to pet from his head to his back, he got angry, sometimes when Chester accidentally touches his back, he got angry and makes the angry noise. Today my boyfriend almost got bitten by him just because he touched his body ONCE. My bf has not seen him for weeks because he works 21 days on straight and comes home 2 weeks off, so he was not happy that the chin trying to bite him while he was just trying to pet him once. I just wonder if it has anything to do with his fur chewing condition or it can happen in any chins? There are certain spots that chins just HATE to be touched.

Most chinchillas have areas where they do not want touched. Yours sounds a little on the extreme side, but that could be because of his temperament. Many chinchillas that chew their fur have nervous temperaments. That is why they chew. They are stressing out. The fur will grow back but that does not change the chinchilla's temperament. He will always be nervous and not like it when he is touched.

all of mine have somewhere they don't like. Chico hates begin touched in the back half of his body. (takes that as a sign of him about to be picked up) Houdini hates having his face/head touched. My girls change simply depending on their current mood lol

Latest posts

Back