Do My Portraits Suck?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, no that's ok. I wasn't offended. :) I didn't think you were mean at all.

I LOVE Photoshop, so I don't mind the term "Photoshop artist". But pencil sketching is so relaxing, and I definitely can't wait to pencil sketch my chinnies. I'm sure I'll have to wait until they're sleeping though or they'll move around too much. Haha!

Here's step 2 of my new portrait. Adding more fur layers. I think I'll have this one be more "pop" arty with bold lines.

Attachments

• sketchupdate1.jpg
    sketchupdate1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 13
Oh, no that's ok. I wasn't offended. I didn't think you were mean at all.

Ok, whew. I was just worried that people thought I meant you were some kind of hack photoshopper that comes with abusing that software. (a lot of people associate "Photoshop" very negatively for some reason.)

Personally I love digital art. It gives you such freedom, and is loads less messy than paint. (doesnt get on your carpets or walls lol) Not to mention the "undo" function, gotta <3 that one! "Oops! I didnt want that brush stroke there! ... Never fear! Undo-man is here! *click* Oh thank you Undo-man, you saved my work!! " Forgive my sillyness...:laughitup:)

I love your step by step drawings you just posted, those rock my socks!
Keep up the fantastic work! I bet you will sell those like hot cakes! :thumbsup:

I love your step by step drawings you just posted, those rock my socks!
Keep up the fantastic work! I bet you will sell those like hot cakes! :thumbsup:

I absolutely agree. You do an amazing job. I had an art teacher-friend tell me once how hard it is for some people to draw circles.....that it can be as hard as drawing straight lines. And you do it so effortlessly! Much much kudos.

I also love digital art! But when I show people art I created from scratch and tell them I did it in Photoshop, I think they assume I used like 3 tools and created the whole thing from premade clip art or something. Haha!

I love painting, but I gotta admit, my favorite feature of Photoshop is the "undo" button. Sometimes when I work on an actual painting and mess something up I'm like "OH CRAP! Ctrl Z! Ctrl Z!" but unfortunately "ctrl z" doesn't work for real life. Bahaha!

Here's some more of my photoshop artwork. I love anime (so I do a lot of anime artwork) :D My Peanut Butter and Jelly piece was recently featured on VH1! One of my proudest accomplishments ever!

Attachments

• peanutbutterjelly.jpg
    peanutbutterjelly.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 21
  • dragonprincessbluesmaller.jpg
    dragonprincessbluesmaller.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 19
  • underwatersmaller.jpg
    underwatersmaller.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 18
  • windowsill2smaller.jpg
    windowsill2smaller.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 15
Wow..."schweet!" The PB&J one made me giggle. I'm gonna think of that everytime I make a sammich now. :laughitup:

You're super talented!

PS...I can totally relate to trying the Ctrl Z thing in real life. LMAO

Haha! Thanks, Space! Think of the poor defenseless happy pb&j before you take your first bite of your next sandwich. ;)

I actually have an entire serious of "True Love" foods. Sushi & wasabi, cookies & milk, hamburger & ketchup, and cake & ice cream. lol

Here's the next step in my newest portrait! Got rid of the dark lines since they were distracting to the soft colors.

Attachments

• sketchupdate2.jpg
    sketchupdate2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 12
I've been practicing a LOT more!! I think I've gotten much better. Here's my newest.

Think I'm ready to start listing custom portraits for sale? :)

Omg, I love that chin drawing with just the head, what a great job you did!

Also, those baby dragons in the anime pics are too cute. You do a very good job with attention to detail and I'm sure in no time, will be able to sell some photos (heck you've already got interest!). How nice being able to make some money doing something you love.

How long does a picture take you?

FINISHED (I think)! Haha! Now I have a hand cramp from drawing so much fur.

This one's a bit softer than the others. It ended up looking NOTHING like the photo, but I think he's still cute.

EDIT: Haha! I forgot his whiskers!! D'oh! So he's not finished yet. :wacko:

Attachments

• sketchfinished.jpg
    sketchfinished.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 14
Haha!

NOW he's finished. :neener:

I should post the photo I referenced. It looks nothing like it. Bahaha! Ooooh well.

Attachments

• sketchfinished.jpg
    sketchfinished.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 19
Love it, love the mouth. I think the ears look too thick, the line is too fat, they are paper thin at the edges in real chins. (only said this since you said you like criticisim)

Thanks, addictedtochins! I do appreciate that! I think I didn't make the shadow smooth enough so it ended up making the ear look thick instead of creating a nice sharp shadow contrast. I really do appreciate the criticism! I don't have my chinnies yet, so things like ear thickness are great to know about!

I edited the ears. A little better?

Attachments

• sketchrevised.jpg
    sketchrevised.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 22
Your work is GREAT! I would love to have you do a picture of my chinchilla :)

Back