Do I need to do anything to Apple sticks?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazel_rain13

My mother has a baby Apple tree and Ashe trimmed done branches of and gave them to me for Pikachu, but I've always just bought sticks for him. Do I need to do anything to them before giving them to him? She doesn't use pesticides or anything. Thank you.

You have to be sure that there have never been pesticides used on the tree first (even if it wasn't your mom). Then you need to cure the applewood by scrubbing it and then baking it. I believe some folks boil it first as well.

I typically start cutting the wood to what size I want and removing leaves. Then I boil wood for 20 minutes, and switch out dark water for clear water if it has too many tannins or dirt. Then I scrub them in room temperature water to remove any residue/dirt that hasn't come off. I then air dry under a fan until the outside looks dry (this means the oven has less work to do- hot air only holds so much moisture and it also helps prevent cracking or bark separating from the wood). You want to bake until the wood is dry throughout if possible. small twigs should snap in half easily instead of bending. For thicker sticks look at them ends. They will look dry throughout (when still wet the core will be dark with water) and may have small cracks radiating from the center. I typically cut a few in half from each batch to ensure it's all done.

Back