Do chins shiver when they are scared?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meiying

Chester & Jeffy
One of my chins is more sensitive to people and whenever I have to get him out of the cage to weight him, he starts shivering, I always feel sorry for him, and I usually hold him for a bit longer until he stops shivering before I put him back to the cage. My another chin does not behave like that even though he doesnt like to be held either but i guess he is not as "sensitive" as the other chin, i suppose?

Chins do tend to do that when they're scared. I've only experienced it with brand new chins, but some may continue to do that if they're around people they don't know.

I have one that does it. She is also the only one that sprays. She has been here since 2008. She is the meanest chin I have here. Her babies are the sweetest chins.

I have one that does it. She is also the only one that sprays. ...... She is the meanest chin I have here.

Yea the chin tends to be very grumpy at times, example: he bit me once for no reason.... if he was a girl, he would definately spray me, every time he gets angry, i am just glad that he is a boy ha ha .

Tribble does this to me. I don't have any idea why he would be scared around me. I've had him since he was born two years ago. LOL, he is my most friendly chin too! He loves scritches and loves to be carried around when he's in a good mood. I've noticed that if he is grumpy and doesn't want to be bothered, he will do that vibrating/shiver thing. It's like he's telling me to leave him alone! lol

My Vanillie does this to me and he is my oldest chinchilla that I have. We have had him for almost 4 years now and every time we pick him up he will shiver. We still pick him up though because he usually stops within a second or two. I am glad though to hear that I am not the only one that has a chinchilla that does this. He usually does it more when I pick him up then when my fiance picks him up but it is because my fiance messes with him more because Vanillie is his favorite.

I have two chins that do this when I pick them up. They are rescues, so who knows what happened to them in the past. I just hold them untils they calm down and it usually takes less than 10 seconds...

Latest posts

Back