Do chins know their names?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenmusic1

Hope this isn't a silly question...chins seem so smart and I have read they are smart and understand more than we think, but when I say her name I get absolutely no reaction what-so-ever. I was curious if chins know their names?

All of mine respond to their names as well as their nicknames especially if they know they are doing something they shouldn't.

My boys only seem to know their names when either a treat is involved or they are being sassy. They do know them though, if you say either one's name they almost always look. Obviously they respond better with a treat in my hand though. We spend a lot of time talking to our boys and they know what other things mean too. Some examples are "go home", "NO", "treats?", "sticks?" and "wanna cuddle?". When I ask "wanna cuddle" Zoidberg runs to the top of the cage and Rufus hides in his house. I think the key is repetition. Just say the same thing everytime you do something and they'll catch on eventually. Whenever you go in for scritches, say her name as you pet her. It might take a while because they are smart and will ignore you at first (my boys still act like jerks sometimes) but she'll get it.

both my boys know their names, and will either look straight at me as soon as i say their name, or will come closer to me if out for play time. if i say, for example 'Guss, come see mommy' while he's out running around, he'll come straight over to me, usually putting a paw on my leg as i sit on the floor. Rhino........ not so much - he's my little bratty boy, lol, and will only come see me if there is a treat involved.

Mine seem too, but it may be a tone of voice thing also. They seem to give me a glimpse if I say their names. But they truly respond when doing something they're not supposed to, or a treat is involved.

BooBoo responds to BooBoo, Booboo bear, and (the nickname from my husband) Boobie or boobie bear. lol!

Neither of mine seem to respond to their names, they understand the word "no" but don't always care that I'm saying it.

Amp definitely knows her name, if theres treats or new toys she'll come running, if shes chewing on things she should not be chewing on she'll look at us when we say her name. Sometimes she listens to "no" and sometimes she doesnt, be she always responds to Amp or Ampasaur xD

Back